Senior Pictures take 2 (I know I suck and that is why I do them for free!)

Photocist- It is not that I am trying to write off my failure as not caring at all, it's just that getting slammed with no actual critique or direction seems to go against me posting the the beginners section. I am a beginner, not a pro and I do not claim to be a pro by any stretch of the imagination. I did this is a free favor. I have seen lots of people post senior portraits on here that look like crap (I actually used the search engine today and looked to try and get some inspiration) It is not like I am posting the the pro section or even the general section...this is the beginner section.

Those of you are are taking time to add something beneficial to my thread. Those of you who want to jump on the bashing bandwagon, thanks for the free entertainment.

For those of you who care (it seems the number has grown to three) I will post the changes I made with PS. I toned it down a lot on the 3 with the bad halos. The others look good enough and the mom loves them so I am not changing them.

we all had our feathers ruffled when we first came to this site. But you'll learn that if you just take it all in, even those that point out the 'obvious,' you'll find that they usually have a point. But the more you complain about them pointing it out, the more they're going to play with you. Relax! Take it all in and don't spend half your thread telling people how upset you are at them pointing out your obvious mistakes. You'll learn a TON here if you don't alienate yourself first.

You're off to a great start by showing up to the shoot, following through with it, processing your shots and posting them. Do it a few thousand more times and you'll start seeing it pay off (and realize usually the most irritating people here on the board are usually the most helpful in the long run.)

"I hope your basketball playing isn't as bad as my photography or we're in trouble!"

"Your girlfriends gonna love this!"

"Think of your girlfriend, now think of the girl you'd REALLY like to be with!"

There are a million ways to get someone to drop the fake smile JUST BEFORE you push the button. And when they laugh make sure to take at least two quick shots - no more fake smiles! Timing is everything, hold the humor until just before the shot (after focusing, etc).

And you don't have to be a standup comedian - they're nervous and will laugh at any stupid joke or comment.

Dude, you're gonna be drummed out of the photographer's union for passing along trade secrets that tens of thousands of photgraphers had to learn by reading a book!!! Shush!!!!

"I hope your basketball playing isn't as bad as my photography or we're in trouble!"

"Your girlfriends gonna love this!"

"Think of your girlfriend, now think of the girl you'd REALLY like to be with!"

There are a million ways to get someone to drop the fake smile JUST BEFORE you push the button. And when they laugh make sure to take at least two quick shots - no more fake smiles! Timing is everything, hold the humor until just before the shot (after focusing, etc).

And you don't have to be a standup comedian - they're nervous and will laugh at any stupid joke or comment.

Dude, you're gonna be drummed out of the photographer's union for passing along trade secrets that tens of thousands of photgraphers had to learn by reading a book!!! Shush!!!!

Damn, I thought I was the only one who knew that secret! I should've known posting on here would result in people stealing my methods!

I'm pretty sure that Derrel wrote that book and KmH proofed the legalities.

Like many people have pointed out, your subject is too close to the wall. One or two shots are okay but try to shoot him without a wall behind him and use higher aperture to bokeh the background. A great to be creative is composition so the subject won't always look at the camera. That way you can capture the moment or feeling better than them looking at the camera. Anyways keep it up!

haaa haaa.

You'll fit in just fine here.

There are two kinds of posters here: those that sugar coat it and say "those are soooooo awesome. Great job!"
and
those who ain't gonna sugar coat it at all. "I see halos."

Do you want ego stroking and petting, or do you want to improve? You must make a decision within your first hundred posts or so. Make the right decision!

(PS; FWIW, I think gsgary was a little harsh as well...)
YOu forgot the 3rd kind. The one that insults without actually giving critique. Example: "These are horrible".
The one on the bleachers hurt my eyes. All the horizontal lines were so distracting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back