Senior Portrait

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Tis the season. One from yesterday. As always, I appreciate any comments or critque.

Thanks!
Pete

senior_7618.jpg

I like the pose and body language however her left eye looks completely black and the right is just about the same.

I like the pose as well. I'm not sure I really like the background since the door seems to split it in half.
Some people just have really small squinty eyes. Any suggestions from anyone on how to get some light into those kinds of eyes?

I prefer the others over the one above, mainly because of the background. I think I like the middle one the best, but if she's the kind of person that smiles a lot, on of the other three might better show her personality.

I like the layout of you second post Pete. Very neat. OH yea, great photographs!

Oh yes the others are much better. The bottom 3 are my fav.

People like this are really tough to shoot. She's like me, when I smile my eyes all but disappear into slits. I think you've caught a good mix of smiling poses with some more serious poses as well that really show her eyes better. These have a more traditional feel to them imho, with more classic posing. The trend these days is a more candid type composition, but I think these go to show that there is a place for both.

I like the lighting in all of them, except the very center shot, it feels a bit "horizontal" to me, and a tad flat. I especially like the lighting in the upper right of the compilation you posted, the contrast between door and wall is masterfully done.

The out door shots seem like they could use just a tad more contrast/saturation for a little more pop, but that could just be my monitor.

Nicely done!

Yeah...not really feeling the door background. Great pose, great clothes, pretty subject, but the door has got to go.

I love the diagonal gray streaks. That is the best shot of the lot in my not too entirely humble opinion.

Thanks to ALL for your comments.

ShutteredEye said:
These have a more traditional feel to them imho, with more classic posing. The trend these days is a more candid type composition...

YES, Robert! That's exactly my feeling. It's frustrating. I find that when I stray from the basics (posing, lighting), I look at my work and feel I haven't done my job. Aughhh! I realize that I have to meet market demands, but find it difficult to abandon all that has been beat into my head over the years. The DESIRE is there, but I'm usually at a loss of how to "remember to be different" AND "remember to be good," if that makes any sense.

I guess what I mean is that when I stray from traditional posing, it looks like poor posing to me.

I need therapy.

Christie Photo said:
Thanks to ALL for your comments.

YES, Robert! That's exactly my feeling. It's frustrating. I find that when I stray from the basics (posing, lighting), I look at my work and feel I haven't done my job. Aughhh! I realize that I have to meet market demands, but find it difficult to abandon all that has been beat into my head over the years. The DESIRE is there, but I'm usually at a loss of how to "remember to be different" AND "remember to be good," if that makes any sense.

I guess what I mean is that when I stray from traditional posing, it looks like poor posing to me.

I need therapy.

See, it's easy for me. I have no freaking clue as to what I'm doing anyway. Not hard to break the rules if you don't know what they are..... So I get lucky every now and then.

BTW, did you know it's illegal to chew gum in the Phillipines?:confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back