Senior Portraits - Concept Test #1

So, no railroad tracks then?

Just wait! You know some of your seniors are going to want an abandoned railroad as their lifestyle portrait environment.

And then you're like; "rilly?"

And then they're like; rilly!

Just wait! You know some of your seniors are going to want an abandoned railroad as their lifestyle portrait environment.

I have cards from a couple of other area photographers in my bag. No problem! :lol:

It comes down to what the client wants. I have done senior portraits in all the locations you have mentioned and it's what the parents requested. It's a paying job and you do what is necessary to get paid. You can make other suggestions but in the end what do you do when the parents want a certain location?

It comes down to what the client wants. I have done senior portraits in all the locations you have mentioned and it's what the parents requested. It's a paying job and you do what is necessary to get paid. You can make other suggestions but in the end what do you do when the parents want a certain location?
Valid point. The person paying the bills calls the shots. To a point. Railroad tracks aren't an issue here, but if there were working lines, I would simply refuse to shoot there.

Some of the shadows on that second one really distract for me. I think bumping your contrast and adding a bit of edgy sharpening might make it more "teenagery". Teenage boys DO NOT smile in senior portraits. I try and try and try to pull out a smile, but sometimes it's just impossible and when you do get it, it doesn't look genuine. So I'm completely fine with the no smile for him.

Your lighting is nice, but it doesn't scream senior boy to me. I wonder about adding gels to your lights to warm them up a bit. Give off a more dramatic effect.

side note, I do like getting him out of the studio. I feel like he'd loosen up quite a bit in a less formal environment, like walking the alleys etc.

Good luck being the trend setter for senior portraits in Canada!

Some of the shadows on that second one really distract for me. I think bumping your contrast and adding a bit of edgy sharpening might make it more "teenagery". Teenage boys DO NOT smile in senior portraits. I try and try and try to pull out a smile, but sometimes it's just impossible and when you do get it, it doesn't look genuine. So I'm completely fine with the no smile for him.

Your lighting is nice, but it doesn't scream senior boy to me. I wonder about adding gels to your lights to warm them up a bit. Give off a more dramatic effect.

side note, I do like getting him out of the studio. I feel like he'd loosen up quite a bit in a less formal environment, like walking the alleys etc.

Good luck being the trend setter for senior portraits in Canada!
Thanks! Excellent idea on the gels. I've got a couple of more tests lined up, so I will definitely be trying that. Appreciate the insight!

The best senior portraits are the ones that reflect the senior. Shooting senior portraits is a lot like shooting a wedding or a commercial product job. Sit down with the senior and the parents since they are the money end and find out about the senior. What they like, what the like to do, what is important to them, how they want to be remember as, what they want to remember of this time in their life.

Have a good list of suitable locations that will cover almost any aspect of their life. I've seen far to many nice looking senior portraits with a tree, rock bridge, brick wall etc. that do not seem to convey anything other than the senior is standing by a tree, sitting on a bridge or leaning against a brick wall.

The best senior portraits are the ones that reflect the senior. Shooting senior portraits is a lot like shooting a wedding or a commercial product job. Sit down with the senior and the parents since they are the money end and find out about the senior. What they like, what the like to do, what is important to them, how they want to be remember as, what they want to remember of this time in their life.

Have a good list of suitable locations that will cover almost any aspect of their life. I've seen far to many nice looking senior portraits with a tree, rock bridge, brick wall etc. that do not seem to convey anything other than the senior is standing by a tree, sitting on a bridge or leaning against a brick wall.
All good points, and I agree completely; all I'm working on right now are "example" images, and at this point more concept than finished images.

By that do you mean this sort of 'hero' shot on a court,

Not unless you plan on shooting during a game. Way back when, I shot a lot of basketball games for the paper, the faces of the players were priceless when the only thing on their mind was making the shot. My feeling is that any attempt to "stage" that would look it. I would think any number of settings would be appropriate from the floor, to the stands, to the locker room. Even if blurry, the background would create the sense of unity with the sport.
Thinking of what I would like to see for my granddaughter (a soccer player) I think the black background makes it look too much like a portrait, and too formal. Also, I wonder if some motion blur, even if not on the court, wouldn't add to the "lifestyle" idea. In a pose like the second one, would it work better to catch him pushing the ball forward, e.g.? I'm thinking of emphasizing the contrast with the portrait.

Thinking of what I would like to see for my granddaughter (a soccer player) I think the black background makes it look too much like a portrait, and too formal. Also, I wonder if some motion blur, even if not on the court, wouldn't add to the "lifestyle" idea. In a pose like the second one, would it work better to catch him pushing the ball forward, e.g.? I'm thinking of emphasizing the contrast with the portrait.
What I'm working on is a set; there will be a traditional family portrait, a school activity portrait (that's what this is) and then 1-2 images on the court, playing a guitar, doing whatever out & about.

Good luck with the curlers, and I don't mean hair curlers. It's going to be a loooonnnngggg, slloooooooowwwww, shoot.

What I'm working on is a set; there will be a traditional family portrait, a school activity portrait (that's what this is) and then 1-2 images on the court, playing a guitar, doing whatever out & about.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your intention for these. I guess I just criticized portraits for being too portrait-like!

Sorry, I misinterpreted your intention for these. I guess I just criticized portraits for being too portrait-like!
Not at all; it was a perfectly valid comment, and I don't disagree at all; at this point it's a concept that I'm putting together to see if there's even a market for this.

Most reactions

Back