Senior Portraits - Concept Test #1

Would be interesting to know where this concept / sales package went long term. We have a similar situation in the UK, where portraits of this age group are not standard for families to commission, at they seem to be in the USA.

Are senior portraits standard for most students across the whole of the USA or is it more common in certain areas or states?

I am curious also if the areas of Canada next to the USA are more engaged with this form and timing of young adult portraits than say more northern Canada? I suppose I am curious why it appears so cultural in the USA and not elsewhere in the world.

Would be interesting to know where this concept / sales package went long term. We have a similar situation in the UK, where portraits of this age group are not standard for families to commission, at they seem to be in the USA.

Are senior portraits standard for most students across the whole of the USA or is it more common in certain areas or states?

I am curious also if the areas of Canada next to the USA are more engaged with this form and timing of young adult portraits than say more northern Canada? I suppose I am curious why it appears so cultural in the USA and not elsewhere in the world.

They're generally standard in my area of the US, as students are expected to provide their own yearbook photo. And since they're paying for a photograpger for that, the new trend is to get lifestyle/environmental portraits done as well. Many of these environmental shots are even becoming the yearbook shot now.

They're generally standard in my area of the US

Thanks for that. Are students required to participate in a yearbook (no year books here in the UK)?

What happens if a student is too poor to commission a photo for the book?

What happens to the books - do the schools keep them, do the students get given them or purchase them? If they buy them, are they expensive?

Its so very different to here - now and again a photographer is commissioned by our schools, often having to pay to shoot in the school or the school gets a commission from photo sales. The photos are usually awful and little care is taken as really the school just want the money and a small snap to put on the pupils record, to make sure when a term report is written that the teacher is writing about the correct child. The photographer sends a plastic pack of various sized photos to the parents via the school/child. There is a lot of pressure to buy at least 1 photo however bad it is, because children get very hurt if their parents do not want the image of them. Its a bad experience that puts children off of pro photography experience. Everyone hated it as you were treated like sheep and looked terrible and it was very upsetting for families who were in financial difficulty. I wish more care was taken here in the UK, just for the childrens self esteem.

First I must confess I didn't carefully read ALL of the info posted here, so if I repeat something, please be patient with me.

The first thing I want to share it to remind you that you are the artist. Yes... you must please the ones writing the check, but you are the pro. Your client is relying on you for more than equipment and technical knowledge.

I find the black background to OK, but not without a background light. It doesn't have to be a lot, but something to give some separation.

Your lighting is a departure from anything I do. It seems to have a sharper edge shadow quality about it. I'm used to something softer. The scheme is interesting, especially in the second view.

The "senior portrait" has been a tradition since before I was in high school... class of 72. I use to shoot hundreds each year for many years. I think I shot 4 in the past two years. It still goes on, but expectations have been drastically lowered in the years of digital. Most of today's "photographers" will advise prospective clients to choose other than tired, old, stuffy studio work. I'm convinced it's due to the lack of studio access and little understanding of how to create lighting, along with no training in posing.

Gradually, the market has come to be satisfied with photos that are adequately (not properly) lit and have the right stuff used as props. It seems the high-schoolers themselves have always searched for the same goal... to be different. In their quest to be different, we find sofas in the woods and kids on railroad tracks.

-Pete

They're generally standard in my area of the US, as students are expected to provide their own yearbook photo. And since they're paying for a photograpger for that, the new trend is to get lifestyle/environmental portraits done as well. Many of these environmental shots are even becoming the yearbook shot now.

My daughter's high school has an exclusive contract with a particular photographer for senior yearbook photos and there is no option to provide your own or go elsewhere. I believe this studio has a 5 year contract and subsidizes the cost of the yearbooks. Seniors, especially the girls, usually also do a photo session with them or with another photographer that is separate from the yearbook pic.

They're generally standard in my area of the US

Thanks for that. Are students required to participate in a yearbook (no year books here in the UK)?

What happens if a student is too poor to commission a photo for the book?

What happens to the books - do the schools keep them, do the students get given them or purchase them? If they buy them, are they expensive?

Its so very different to here - now and again a photographer is commissioned by our schools, often having to pay to shoot in the school or the school gets a commission from photo sales. The photos are usually awful and little care is taken as really the school just want the money and a small snap to put on the pupils record, to make sure when a term report is written that the teacher is writing about the correct child. The photographer sends a plastic pack of various sized photos to the parents via the school/child. There is a lot of pressure to buy at least 1 photo however bad it is, because children get very hurt if their parents do not want the image of them. Its a bad experience that puts children off of pro photography experience. Everyone hated it as you were treated like sheep and looked terrible and it was very upsetting for families who were in financial difficulty. I wish more care was taken here in the UK, just for the childrens self esteem.

Students are required to be in the yearbook, and if they want to purchase a copy they can. They cost roughly 50 US dollars in my area.

If the student can't afford to commission their own photos, the school brings in a photographer to take photos of everyone much the way you describe, and that photo is used.

Thanks for the explanations everyone.

So, anyone in any country outside of the USA having luck selling similar youth packages?

I just finished up senior pictures for a young lady. Her school requires the year book picture to be a portrait from about shoulder high, they have a dress code for the yearbook picture, frown on props. All good ideas, I think. Her parents hired me to take the rest of her "senior" pictures as well. All were taken outdoors with a water theme, three different locations and several clothing changes. I'm new here and not sure if I can attach pictures. If I can I'll attach a couple.

Attachments

• IMG-8145 Final Sr. Pic..jpg
    IMG-8145 Final Sr. Pic..jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 259
I just finished up senior pictures for a young lady. Her school requires the year book picture to be a portrait from about shoulder high, they have a dress code for the yearbook picture, frown on props. All good ideas, I think. Her parents hired me to take the rest of her "senior" pictures as well. All were taken outdoors with a water theme, three different locations and several clothing changes. I'm new here and not sure if I can attach pictures. If I can I'll attach a couple.

Not to come off as a jerk, but I'd suggest that you aren't at a point with your photos that you should be charging for them yet.

The subject is significantly underexposed, her eyes are dark, the background is blown out, and you have a really awkward framing of her that cuts off her left arm and makes her right arm look huge. Her teeth look yellow, you've done no real post processing, etc.

Not even close to work you should be charging for. Period.

So, anyone in any country outside of the USA having luck selling similar youth packages?
It's certainly not working for me; very definitely a cultural/regional thing. Oh well... experiment tried; experiment unsuccessful.

[...The subject is significantly underexposed, her eyes are dark, the background is blown out, and you have a really awkward framing of her that cuts off her left arm and makes her right arm look huge. Her teeth look yellow, you've done no real post processing, etc...
Have to agree with this critique; it appears that you've used no fill light at all, which was desperately needed for this image. Perhaps offer a reshoot?

Adding to the list, missed focus on the eyes, no skin smoothing or blemish removal.

It's certainly not working for me; very definitely a cultural/regional thing. Oh well... experiment tried; experiment unsuccessful.

That's too bad, it was a good idea. Maybe it will eventually catch on through social media. I would make sure your site comes up for your area if anyone Google searches Senior photo sessions.

Most reactions

Back