Senior Session C&C please :)

Tirediron it was not meant towards you.

Understood (but I have a thick skin, so if you want to take a shot, go ahead! ;) ). I was trying to make the same points a couple of others have already done, and that is not to take things personally. Some of the people posting have 20, 30 or even more years behind a camera, and have made a living doing it... they know of what they speak. Concentrate on the words and not the tone.

Charlie gave you excellent feedback. Sure might have been some sarcasm in second reply...but that's Charlie. Take it with a grain of salt.

No need to critique as you have been given excellent C&C, but I will add this...

I can't stress enough to new photogs who are in the learning phase...and trying to get paying gigs at the same time. Do free work. It helps you build your portfolio, as well as learn by your mistakes...you are going to make them. I have found you will get more respect and appreciation doing free gigs while you learn from not only clients, but the community, as well as your fellow photogs.

I shot a free gig tonight for the Maine Troop Greeters, who were holding a fundraiser banquet. It was very last minute, I was not prepared, however I went...shot for free...and did a great job. Had it been a paid gig I would have done many things different, but it was very last minute. Anyway, I got off on a tangent. The point is, I was able to network. Simply based on my presentation of myself, how I conducted myself, and that fact that I donated my time and skils to a worthy cause...I walked out of there 3 hours later with 2 booked paid gigs and a point in my favor with the community. They have not even seen my shots yet.

You can do the same with senior portrait shoots. Think of it. Kids and word of mouth is powerful. At first most think..."you'll be known as a free person and get hounded by others wanting free work". In my case, it is not true at all. It is all in how you carry yourself.

The other added benefit is from being able to chalk up mis-shoots as learning. So most people, I say most, will understand if the shots do not come out well, and usually they will still walk away with a few they liked.

Personally, I would rather be respected doing free work while learning than be known as a fauxtographer who is selling a trade/service they are simply not good at.

To be honest, you are not good at your trade yet, and I say that with respect. You need to practice more, learn more, and work toward perfecting your trade...before you can start charging. Sure you can technically charge now...but is that how you want to be known? A person selling a bad service?

I hope you get something from my little shpeel, good luck. ;-)

oh, and don't be afraid to turn down money, you'll get it ten fold later, trust me. I have turned down a dozen weddings this year. I am not geared up for a wedding. I know what it takes to do a wedding. I am not there yet. It is hard sometimes, lord knows I need the money. I hear it often..."I've seen your work...you'll do great...shoot my wedding for me". No way in hell I am setting myself up for failure and possibly ruining the decent reputation I have gained thus far locally.

anyway /soapbox

;-)

ugh...weddings. One thing I'll never do, but the money is GREAT.

lol, I might do one or two next fall, but only to use the dough for a new lens. lol, isn't that awful....lol

lol, I might do one or two next fall, but only to use the dough for a new lens. lol, isn't that awful....lol

The stresssssss. Yikes! It's what separates the men from the boys.
I would love new glass but, couldn't do the stress.

Hey, I used to shoot Weddings in Texas... and them Texan Bridezilla's are the WORST! They got guns! lol!

No more weddings for me either... not interested at all!

Her mom gave me $40 and I'm giving her a photo cd with all images and some wallets for friends and family

By "all images" you don't really mean all the images, correct? You culled the out of focus images, underexposed and overexposed images, and the really terrible shots, correct? How many images in total? You can run your biz as you see fit but for $40, a CD with 10 poses in high resolution format (for printing) along with re-sized for the web (Facebook, social networks, etc) is plenty. Give them a print release and they can do their own wallet size prints.

I shoot with the intent of doing it for free. If the person(s) insist on compensating me then I ask for it in the form of an Amazon or B&H gift card. That way I can put that towards instructional material or gear. I also let them know beforehand that they will receive 10 finished images in hi-res and web sized format and a print release. Sometimes they get 15 images but 10 is a safe number.

Lastly, Charlie gave you good info on all his points. Sometimes it's tough for new members who join and get a reality check. You can really benefit by sticking around but that's your decision to make. :cheers:

Forgot to add: on a positive note, I'm glad to hear that the senior was pleased with the photos. Photographing larger build people are tricky and that's where effective posing comes into play. I would highly recommend checking out and subscribing to the Adorama and Snapfactory channels on YouTube. They have many great beginner to advanced video tutes. Since you're going to be working with flash, those are good links to get started with.

I was thinking most of what charlie posted in #2....

But just a few posing tips that may have helped / might help in the future.

For models w/ a soft chin, I find that shooting from above them helps considerably as it both extends their neck to look up, and creates a depth / blind behind the chin. If you can't get above them, you can have them lean forward slightly, then look "up" at you.

But in #1 and #2, even if you don't get above her, get her to extend her neck some. Yes, it will feel really awkward... but try it. You'll see. You aren't shooting in profile, so the camera will flatten the perspective back out... and it really will do wonders for the neck line.

When shooting w/ mixed shadows, try to be all in or all out. sometimes, and I do mean rarely, but sometimes, you can intentionally use the shadow line as a compositional element for something creative, but you better be shooting more normal stuff because while cool and appreciated by the model, it's rarely the look they want for their prints. In #3 for example, I'd have been looking for something she can stand on to get her up into the shadow more. #3 was a good spot for the light, btw, soft shadow for her, dark background for the barn, and the sunlit outside to give contrast to the picture without requiring it in HER lighting.

In #2, the left eye is lost in shadow... If chimping, you should have noticed that and tried again with her face raised slightly and turned slightly farther from the wall. I might also have moved farther to camera right to get rid of the blown out sky behind her, but to me the face shadow is more important to fix than the backligh, but then I tend to shoot weird overexposed backgrounds on purpose so don't trust my judgement on that one.

Finally... the plain black top screams for accessories of some kind. necklace. scarf. bag. don't care what, but something. anything. If you're going to shoot people, start collectiing a big ole box of props. And makeup too, btw). Anything interesting you find. My secret box in the closet has all kinds of stuff a girlfriend is not allowed to find until she knows me really well.

Oh, don't be afraid to go dramatic. My rule for wardrobe and accessories: If you can wear it on the street it's probably too boring for pictures. If it's interesting in pictures you probably can't wear it on the street.

I am glad she was happy with the photos, and really as long as the client is happy, that helps on the business end.

that being said, we are not your clients and we can see (what is to us) obvious faults. Stick around and learn. This is a great place for that, so long as you can take the snark that comes with it.

Oh, don't be afraid to go dramatic. My rule for wardrobe and accessories: If you can wear it on the street it's probably too boring for pictures. If it's interesting in pictures you probably can't wear it on the street.
True, but for this type of portraiture, you really want to keep the wardrobe choices in the context of the client's lifestyle, that is, if you were commissioned to shoot Leann Rimes senior pictures, you probably wouldn't try and get her into some crazy goth or punk clothing. It might be dramatic, but it wouldn't be "her".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back