Seniors shoots have begun

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
thoughts always welcomed
_DSC3240eff copy.jpg

I'm always a big fan of black and white. It's a dark photo, but there is some great pop in her hair, and her jacket against the brick wall. I like it. I'd be interested in seeing more like this.

Sent via Tapatalk. Please excuse any typos.

When I think of a senior portrait, especially posing in their school jacket, I think of school COLORS.

She looks more like a "tough" girl rather than the cheerleader type, which is fine, so I think the pose and facial expression work.

Lets see what else you got from this session.

Technically it's excellent. I would have liked to have seen her body turned a bit more though. Excellent conversion.

_DSC3207ori copy.jpg
Thanks for the replies. My goal for each session is to capture the subject's personality. Parker - I truly think this is hers. John, I have many with her tilted, this one just stood out.
She let me know from the get go - I will not see any teeth
I did get smiles (some) that's why I'm inclined to edit this way
thoughts PLEASE
Question - do you notice a slight pink tint? I notice it I upload the file on the site

Attachments

• _DSC3258 copy.jpg
    _DSC3258 copy.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 233
The pose is killing this shot. Square to the camera, "tough-girl" stance, eyes not on the camera, no smile, one hand out, one in her pocket, subject centered under a flaw in the background wall.

Since she is a bit heavy, you should find more flattering poses for her. Try to get her to loosen up, and allow her sparkling personality to shine through.

Then, your flash has some rather harsh light, and is making a strong shadow. I agree with Parker219 about the B&W conversion, and I'm wondering why, exactly.

If you're going to keep the shot, it should be straightened.

Probably more than you bargained for, but that's my take on it.

the conversion to BW was my choice, my artistic choice Agree on the harsh light, I can tone it down

You are the artist and its your choice, but I think the processing on photo 2 is bad for a senior portrait. I just took out my yearbook and there are a couple pages of senior portraits. Not one photo has the colors muted, that much vignette, or that sad of a look.

I like the 3rd photo, the one in color, with a flattering pose, and a non sad look on her face.

Parker - point taken, you are absolutely right. I am giving her the less effect version as well. I was actually playing with the edits given the scenery and her seriousness. BUT at the end of the day she is a Senior and I have to think Yearbook
THANK YOU, appreciate your words

The pose is killing this shot. Square to the camera, "tough-girl" stance, eyes not on the camera, no smile, one hand out, one in her pocket, subject centered under a flaw in the background wall.

Since she is a bit heavy, you should find more flattering poses for her. Try to get her to loosen up, and allow her sparkling personality to shine through.

Then, your flash has some rather harsh light, and is making a strong shadow. I agree with Parker219 about the B&W conversion, and I'm wondering why, exactly.

If you're going to keep the shot, it should be straightened.

Probably more than you bargained for, but that's my take on it.
May i know wich photo you are refering to? if that's picture no.1 then i don't know why do you say she wasn't staring to camera? i think she is looking directly at the camera. I'm just asking though, since i'm pretty new to this, maybe there are some indications that the subject is not staring the camera properly? but how do you know if one is staring to a camera properly or not with pose like no.1?

May i know wich photo you are refering to? if that's picture no.1 then i don't know why do you say she wasn't staring to camera? i think she is looking directly at the camera. I'm just asking though, since i'm pretty new to this, maybe there are some indications that the subject is not staring the camera properly? but how do you know if one is staring to a camera properly or not with pose like no.1?
Good morning!

Yes, the first; I can see where her eyes are focused, which are not directly at the lens. It should be a simple matter to ask your model to look at the lens, not the photographer, or something else nearby. If you happen to be looking through the viewfinder, you can see when your subject looks at the camera, and even if you're not looking through the viewfinder, you can tell when the eyes are looking at the camera.

Good morning!

Yes, the first; I can see where her eyes are focused, which are not directly at the lens. It should be a simple matter to ask your model to look at the lens, not the photographer, or something else nearby. If you happen to be looking through the viewfinder, you can see when your subject looks at the camera, and even if you're not looking through the viewfinder, you can tell when the eyes are looking at the camera.
Ah, thanks for the kind explanation sir, i guess i'm just new to this so i don't really know how to distinguish between eyes focusing on lens or the photographer, you have a really keen eyes sir, cheers

The jock letter jacket, number on the upper sleeve in the first one kinda goes with the 'football player', square to the camera pose.
The cleft chin adds to the 'tough girl' image. Many guys would envy her cleft chin.
The lighting works well.
The thing that is like finger nails on a chalk board to me is the verticals are tilted slightly counter-clock wise.

I too think the light in the second is a bit to harsh.
I like to see high school senior photos where the high school senior isn't right up against a wall.

Most reactions

Back