Sensor Cleaning Kit?

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do the air blowers have a filter in them so that when you blow air out it does not suck dust back in? I no its kinda a stupid question but i would think that it would suck some dust back in. Or does a small amount of dust not matter? Also if you would let me know what brands of Sensor cleaners to buy. Thanks

Good quality blower-bulbs have the intake on the opposite end from the nozzle, they don't "recharge" by bringing air down the nozzle. For my money, the best blower on the market right now is the Giottos Rocket ( http://www.giottos.com/Rocket-air.htm ) You can pick them up for <$20 at any decent camera store. Under no circumstance use one of those horrid little things with the built-in brush.

As far as sensor cleaning goes, there's two kinds dry and wet. Dry is always the preferred method as there's much less chance of leaving residue. Wet cleaning may be required the odd time if you get a piece of dust which becomes "welded" to your sensor (Note that you're not actually cleaning, or even touching the sensor. The sensor is protected by a high-pass filter, which is actually fairly difficult to damage). The problem with wet cleaning is that you can leave streaks, which while not damaging can be a misery to get off.

I've had excellent luck with Visible Dust's line of products, and if you have a camera that doesn't have a self-cleaning sensor, then I strongly recommend you pick up an Arctic Butterfly ( http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3 ) they're not cheap, but they're an excellent piece of kit. If you do need to go the wet-cleaning route, than their line of products is also very good.

Thanks for the information Iron. I will check into both of those products. I have a pentax k110d that does not have the self cleaner. I don't have another lens to change out yet but soon will and will be exposing the sensor to dust when changing lens. Once again thanks for the info.

Most reactions

Back