Sensor Cleaning

pgowder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I've never cleaned the sensor. Terrible, I know!

I have a Sony A700 and a Minolta 7D.

Are there different brush sizes? Which do I need?

I've seen the products at Visable Dust. They look great, but do I need $150 sensor cleaning kit?

What brush/products do you all use?

Thanks!

I use Photographic Solutions system which is approved (and used) by many of the big manufacturers.

Here's a chart showing you want swab size you need and what cleaning solution you need to perform what is in essence a factory cleaning yourself.

Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc.

Once you know what you need, you can buy the cleaning kit from Amazon.com for about $20.

This is what I use. It's quick, safe, and the kits are warrantied not to damage your sensor.

Here's a sample of a cleaning I did about a week ago.

First take a picture of a clear blue sky at the smallest aperture you can (f/22 ideally). You will then see the dust quite clearly:

616926041_vYnMg-L.jpg

Do your cleaning, it takes me about 3 minutes to do. Then take another picture to see if you got all the dust.

616926026_fwRNv-L.jpg

Poof, you're done.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the LensPen SensorKlear, seems to work well. (~$20 I think)
I've not had good luck with this product at all.

All I did was move dust around my sensor which I found to be extremely frustrating.

That's when I discovered how much better using a swab that's the same size as your sensor really is. One sweep and all of the dust is gone.

I use the LensPen SensorKlear, seems to work well. (~$20 I think)
I've not had good luck with this product at all.

All I did was move dust around my sensor which I found to be extremely frustrating.

That's when I discovered how much better using a swab that's the same size as your sensor really is. One sweep and all of the dust is gone.

It's worked perfectly for me so far. But have the one you mentioned in a wish list just in case.

Bleach and a Brillo pad.

Out of fear that someone may take me seriously, THIS IS A JOKE!

Last edited:
Ok, I've never cleaned the sensor. Terrible, I know!

I have a Sony A700 and a Minolta 7D.

Are there different brush sizes? Which do I need?

I've seen the products at Visable Dust. They look great, but do I need $150 sensor cleaning kit?

What brush/products do you all use?

Thanks!

Bleach and a Brillo pad.
Can they send you the repair bill when some noob that doesn't know any better takes your post seriously?

Good point. I edited the post for those that don't recognize it as a joke.

I use swabs and isopropyl alcohol (the sensor cleaning liquid was to expensive for me at the time). I was scared as f*** to use it but my camera still works :D

Most reactions

Back