Serious Contemplation

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had the chance to visit this past week with my Father In Law, a 96 years young veteran of WWII. Despite being legally blind and a bit slow in walking, this is still one tough old bird. 3 years ago he tripped and fell neck first into a steel bench, breaking his neck and crushing his larynx. They really didn't give him much of a chance because of his age, but he proved them wrong. It's hard for him to talk above a whisper, which makes it difficult for a man who's always been quick of wit, with a story to share. I went with a desaturated gritty approach embracing the noise as a reflection of the man. Natural light from window. F/5.6, 105 mm, 1/80, ISO 6400. C&C appreciated.
no-image-available-grid.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tough at 96! I like the portrait, but on the fence about the desaturation.

Tough at 96! I like the portrait, but on the fence about the desaturation.

Unfortunately the aging process created a patchwork of age spots of various color. I could have worked the skin but then I might have lost the texture. So I took the easy route. :1251:

Looks like he'd be good fun to sit and have a beer with. I like the image, but as Cheryl said... ehhhhh on the desaturation. I would rather see the natural skin, spots and all. He's 96, he's earned them!

Looks like he'd be good fun to sit and have a beer with. I like the image, but as Cheryl said... ehhhhh on the desaturation. I would rather see the natural skin, spots and all. He's 96, he's earned them!

Point noted. I tried it original, and a B&W, neither which seemed to have look I was after. May go back and try adding back a touch more color.

I like the perspective, hows he look in B&W? has some lovely character and shadowing on his face.

I like the perspective, hows he look in B&W? has some lovely character and shadowing on his face.

Thank you. The B&W for lack of a better term, just looked bland. The shot was in a nursing home room, with overhead florescent lighting, the walls were a pale yellow, a typical hospital style bed on the left, and various and sundry signs/fixtures on the wall behind him. Not a lot of room to move around, especially with several other family members there as well.

The B&W for lack of a better term, just looked bland.
I might have gone a touch overboard with processing (did it quickly on my phone), but you could probably get some good contrast in there in the B&W to make it look a bit more interesting if you found it bland in B&W.

Man.jpg

@waday tried several different versions of B&W some of which weren't bad. It was tough choice for me between the two. One thing I've noticed is the version I have in Lr, has more color in it then the version that shows here/on Flickr. Not sure why that's happening. Overall I prefer it still to the B&W, as it shows his steel blue eyes. Thanks for the edit though.

Most reactions

Back