Set on a Manfrotto 190XProB ... any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a Manfrotto 190XProB with 486RC2 ball head for $230 CAD, which comes to exactly the price I've been looking to pay for a tripod after shipping and taxes.

I like this particular tripod because it seems to be a good balance between weight and strength, though slightly on the heavy side for me. The height with the ball head should put the viewfinder exactly at my eye-level. I especially like the ability to use the centre-column horizontally and then adjust the legs to nearly 90 degrees from the ground, which should be good for macro use.

Before I hit the "buy" button, though...

Does the head usually include the quick-release plate?

Are there any other tripods that are lighter/cheaper and have this same centre column that can be swiveled out and used horizontally?

Are there any other combos for this same price that I should be considering because they are sturdier and/or lighter?

Does the head usually include the quick-release plate?
Yes
Are there any other tripods that are lighter/cheaper and have this same centre column that can be swiveled out and used horizontally?
Manfrotto makes a carbon fiber version of the 190, which is lighter but obviously more expensive.
Are there any other combos for this same price that I should be considering because they are sturdier and/or lighter?
I think the 190 is a good compromise between price and build quality. If you can save a bit longer, have a look at the 055. It has the same features as the 190, but is sturdier, as a higher maximum height but is of course more expensive and heavier.

I have that combo with the exception of the 488 ball head, very solid and feels secure.

Enjoy!

I think the 190 is a good compromise between price and build quality. If you can save a bit longer, have a look at the 055. It has the same features as the 190, but is sturdier, as a higher maximum height but is of course more expensive and heavier
I did actually look at a 055 as well (in person). It's too heavy for me, I'm a weakling :roll:

I think the 190 is a good compromise between price and build quality. If you can save a bit longer, have a look at the 055. It has the same features as the 190, but is sturdier, as a higher maximum height but is of course more expensive and heavier
I did actually look at a 055 as well (in person). It's too heavy for me, I'm a weakling :roll:

No no no... weight is a factor when carrying your photography gear around with you, so you aim for the lightest possible within a price range.

Sounds better than "I'm a weakling" :D

No, seriously, I'm 5'7" and 145 lbs, so even the 190XproB feels a bit much for me. It's only 5 lbs with the 486RC2 head attached, but even that is a little much for me.

Is there anything that is just as sturdy but lighter and the same price?

I just had another thought. I really do like this tripod and I'm certain it will be plenty stable enough for me, but my problem is with weight. Like I said, I'm short and scrawny and I have no measurable muscle mass ;)

I've begun to think that a monopod may be better suited to my needs right now, which includes a lot of hiking and generally walking around with my camera bag. As a monopod is basically an extendable stick, you don't need one that's terribly heavy or expensive to support a large amount of weight.

The thing is, I also like to make night exposures, for which a tripod is absolutely required.

Maybe I should consider getting both?

Monopods and tripods are totally different beasts. If you need a tripod, a monopod cannot be substituted for that.

^ I understand that. But, I think that most of the things I'd use a tripod for while hiking, I could just as easily use a monopod for ... mainly as a substitute for handheld shooting.

I see what you are saying, and yes I agree. I just thought you also liked long exposures as well. If you can afford both, get both.

Is there anything that is just as sturdy but lighter and the same price?

Tripods have three characteristics

Sturdiness
Weight
Price

You can only pick two of three. If you want sturdiness and light weight, you are going have to be flexible on the price (higher price). If price is a concern, you will have to compromise with either a lightweight but less sturdy model or a more sturdy but heavier model.

As already mentioned, I would consider saving for the carbon fiber version of the 190. My personal favorites in very lightweight tripods are from Gitzo (also pricey). I've "created" a tripod from a monopod and two sticks on hiking trips in the past.... simply bring some bongo ties or large rubber bands along for the hike.

Also, figure out the weight of your camera and heaviest lens. Often shoppers overestimate and go overboard with a tripod that is rated over what they really need which resulted in unnecessary expense and weight. Don't go right up to the max rating thought.

Short and scrawny..... yup, the 190 over the 055X. I've got the 055X legs and couldn't be happier, but I'm only a couple of inches taller a few.... well, a little bit heavier than you. The 488 is a good ball head, but I screwed up by getting the RC4 plate. Another ball head you may want to consider is the 322RC2. It's a one handed operation and unless you're panning for multiple exposures to stitch later, it works quite well for fast movement.

If you go down the monopod path, have a look at Manfrotto's 685B Neotech. Handles quite a bit of weight and (again) a one handed operation. It weighs slightly more and is rather thick at the handle, but I use it often. Don't forget to get a swivel head for your monopod with QR plate.... a godsend for going from landscape to portrait orientation.

Recently I read a thread and Fiesel was mentioned as a good knockoff of a Gitzo. I think it was Gryphonslair99 that mentioned it.

What I'm thinking about is getting the 190XProB/486RC2 (it sells as a kit where I'm planning to buy it from) and a 679B, then I can change over the head whenever I need to.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the 190XProB with 486RC2 ball-head. I also bought an OPTech tripod strap, so that should make it easier to carry.

Most reactions

Back