dSLR recommendation?

mimstrel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad has decided that he wants to get a dSLR for an upcoming trip to Alaska. He wants to spend about $1000 for the whole set up, which we figure will get a decent body with a kit zoom and maybe a second zoom. He's really into zooms, but I'm trying to talk him into at least one prime.

First question: for $1000, what would you recommend as the best camera and lens set up available currently? We have no preference between Canon or Nikkon at the moment (unless current Nikon cameras can accept the non-AI glass that fits my Nikkormat, in which case Nikon would be better, but Canon good too). A zoom lens covering a decent range of focal lengths plus maybe one other lens would be best...

I'll be doing some research myself, and I gave dad my digital photography textbook... but I know $1000 is not going to cover my idea of the ideal set-up (and hence I'm not looking for myself, because I don't want to buy until I can afford what I want), so I thought I'd ask here what you all would recommend.

Thanks!

I guess I'll just duplicate an earlier post of mine today lol. I'm a Nikon guy so I'll recommend a D90 in for that price range. Mine was $1200 at Best Buy and came with an 18-105 lens.

Great camera, plus it does video as well.

I'm hardcore Nikon myself, BUT, in this case, I'd take a long, hard look at the Pentax line. I think you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

I think the D90 is actually what my dad is looking at. I believe he said it was also recommended by an aunt.

tirediron, how does Pentax stack up to Nikon/Canon? I'm comfortable with buying both Canon and Nikon, I feel that both companies have consistantly good products, but after a somewhat disappointing run with my Panasonic (which, admittedly, is superzoom p&s), I'm a little bit skeptical about trying other companies. (ie my Pana's issue is noise, also the sensor is dieing and it isn't that old... my Canon is twice as old and has taken twice the abuse, and takes as good pictures as ever!)

OK. So my dad has made his decision, now while I'm at it I may as well ask for advice for myself. As I mentioned above, my Panasonic superzoom is dieing, and while my Canon still takes great photos, 1) it doesn't have enough zoom for me, and 2) the switch that toggles from view photos to video to photo, is going bad.

So, I need a new camera, and I know it isn't worth it for me to buy a new P&S. yes, they're less expensive and actually fit in my budget (if the switch in my canon dies completely I may replace it eventually, anyway), but they just won't take me where I want to be anymore. So I'm going to take the plunge and buy a dSLR. Money is a limiting factor, but I'm going to save to get what I want, rather than saying, "I want something for $XXX"

Considerations:
1. I need something that is a good balance between portability and hardiness. I'm a biologist and a traveler. If its going to die overseas, I want it to be because I drop-kicked it off a mountain, not because I sneezed in its general direction. I don't expect miracles, but I've seen electronics die for the stupidest stuff. On the other hand, I remember my photography professor telling us that steel-frame cameras are available for people going into really rough areas, and I dont' really need that!

2. If Dad is getting a Nikon, I would prefer to get a Nikon also, because that way I can borrow his glass... I might get just a body and wait until I can afford a telephoto prime for my first lens.

3. I don't need video on the camera.

4. I'd like it to be somewhere in the range of higher-end entry quality to mid-range.

I don't know where that puts the price tag, or what cameras, or honestly even if everyone is just going to laugh and say, "Just get a D90 like your dad!"

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

I agree with tired iron. I would really encourage you to look at the Pentax line up. It should compare very well to a comparably equipped Canon or Nikon. Their new K7 looks really nice and has all the bells and whistles you could want, but weighs in at $1300 which is outside the budget. I would recommend the k20d along w/ a 50 mm lens for around $800. I'd also recommend the Sigma EX 24-70mm lens but it's currently going for around $560 (looks like they've had a real price increase over the past year as I paid only $440). Anyway, the k20d is a really nice body and you can use it with any Pentax lens made. They have some really nice glass and you can find it cheap on Ebay if you don't mind some older manual lenses. I also strongly recommend the 77mm limited lens, but it is as much as the body, but is a very nice portrait lens if you need one.

Pentax k20D $659
Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 $149
Pentax | Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens | 20817 | B&H

tirediron, how does Pentax stack up to Nikon/Canon? I'm comfortable with buying both Canon and Nikon, I feel that both companies have consistantly good products, but after a somewhat disappointing run with my Panasonic (which, admittedly, is superzoom p&s), I'm a little bit skeptical about trying other companies. (ie my Pana's issue is noise, also the sensor is dieing and it isn't that old... my Canon is twice as old and has taken twice the abuse, and takes as good pictures as ever!)
Pentax has been making SLRs since the 60s; the availability of legacy glass in outstanding, and the build-quality of their products is at least 'good'.

I'd second johnboy's recommendations. the K20D is a lot bang for the buck and the recent release of the K7 should push the K20D's prices downward quite nicely. I'd probably go with a short AF zoom, telephoto AF zoom, and a fast 50mm or 35mm manual K-mount primes from ebay.

for a trip to alaska i would think weather sealed body would be important. so this would be one of the few times where i would actually agree with some above posts and suggest considering the Pentax K20D

You can have my D60 and 18-55mm VR lens for $550. Less than 2 months old. :)

Sounds like you want a camera that has a metal body and weather sealing. In the Nikon line that would be a D300. If you're willing to look at used a D200 but the D200 was first released nearly 4 years ago so it isn't as good at high ISO as the D300.

The D90 is all plastic and has no weather sealing. It does have the same image sensor as the D300 and it has video (5 min max).

Thanks everyone!

Well, for all my dad's claims to open-mindedness regarding camera brands, it turns out he really is pretty hard-core nikon. He's decided on a D500, and plans to get some kind of weather proofing case.

Really, he won't be nearly as hard on his as I will be on mine, even just with this Alaska trip. I'm the one who if the world was perfect, would have a solid titanium camera. The world is not perfect, and I have no money:lol:.

As for me, looking more into it I think the Canon system is the best fit for me. I'm still looking at Pentax, on the recommendation of those here, but it still does come down to the fact that I have experience with the reliability of Canon/Nikon, and when I'm spending as much as I'm going to, I'd rather go with the company I know.

I've run myself in circles dealing with pros and cons of money vs. features, as my dad pointed out that it really needs to get me through grad school, and then I'll have a real job and can afford a much better body. I'm currently thinking about a Canon Rebel XSi as a good compromise body (totally :drool: over the Mark II). I can afford it on a single month's pay, even with a lens.

Regarding Pentax:
What type of lens system does it have? The guy at Camera Corner was saying that Canon's system is set up so that new cameras can use older lenses, even some film camera lenses, and that Nikon doesn't have that kind of universal compatability.
Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Well, for all my dad's claims to open-mindedness regarding camera brands, it turns out he really is pretty hard-core nikon. He's decided on a D500, and plans to get some kind of weather proofing case.

Really, he won't be nearly as hard on his as I will be on mine, even just with this Alaska trip. I'm the one who if the world was perfect, would have a solid titanium camera. The world is not perfect, and I have no money:lol:.

As for me, looking more into it I think the Canon system is the best fit for me. I'm still looking at Pentax, on the recommendation of those here, but it still does come down to the fact that I have experience with the reliability of Canon/Nikon, and when I'm spending as much as I'm going to, I'd rather go with the company I know.

I've run myself in circles dealing with pros and cons of money vs. features, as my dad pointed out that it really needs to get me through grad school, and then I'll have a real job and can afford a much better body. I'm currently thinking about a Canon Rebel XSi as a good compromise body (totally :drool: over the Mark II). I can afford it on a single month's pay, even with a lens.

Regarding Pentax:
What type of lens system does it have? The guy at Camera Corner was saying that Canon's system is set up so that new cameras can use older lenses, even some film camera lenses, and that Nikon doesn't have that kind of universal compatability.
Thoughts?

you have that backwards, nikon has the best compatibility bay far, probably followed by pentax, then canon, then sony/minolta. i have no numbers to go by on this just estimation from shopping around and user experiences.

nikon hands down has the best mount system though.

Canon made a clean break from the old manual FD mount to the all-electronic EOS system with the EF mount in 1987. Everything Canon from 1987 onwards would work with fully-automatic focusing, metering, aperture, etc. with the EOS Rebel XSi that you are considering or with even the cheapest Canon DSLR.

Nikon automated the manual F mount and continues to use it today. Your father can attach manual lenses from the late-70s onward on a Nikon DSLR. Besides still offering manual lenses, Nikon currently has two types of auto-focus lenses. The older type uses a mechanical drive from the camera to focus the lens. The newer (AF-S) type has the focus motor built into the lens like the Canon EOS system. The entry-level Nikon DSLRs (e.g.: D5000, D60, D40) lack the mechanical drive to auto-focus non- AF-S lenses (which still represent about 1/3 of the currently-offered Nikon auto-focus lens lineup in 2009). The non- AF-S lenses tend to be less expensive than their AF-S counterparts, and there are a lot of them available in the used market. If you step up to a D90, you can auto-focus with the non- AF-S lenses. The D300 has even better compatibility with the manual lenses from the 1980s.

Although Canon has a wider lens selection than Nikon, and the Canon lenses are usually less expensive than comparable Nikon lenses, if you've got an opportunity to borrow lenses and equipment from your father, that could make the Nikon system a better value for you, too.

Most reactions

Back