Set up custom white balance

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by davholla, Dec 5, 2019.

1. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I need precise white balance, I do a custom wb for each lighting set up, then take a photo of the color checker passport. Then incident meter the shot to nail exposure. When a bride spends days selecting the color of the bridesmaids dresses, they have to be right. When not taking as much time, use a pop out white/18% gray target to do custom white balance and sometimes include that in the first shot so can click on it in post to set wb. Of course, have a calibrated monitor. I use a IOne studio to set monitor brightness and calibrate it then use it to create custom profiles for each paper and printer combination. That work flow nails color and I rarely bother with a test print unless I am printing in the 20+ inch size and then it's an 8x10 with 2 5x7 images, one for brightness/ color the other a crop from a section of an image at print size to check sharpening. I try to do an exercise every november shooting as much b&w for my personal work as possible and also use both b&w and color negative film which has it's own color palette. Amazing how little post is needed shooting film. Yes, those were the days.

2. davholla

davholla No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all, in the UK our sandwiches don't come in the right shade of white - but I do have some plastic plates I can use.

3. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

The inside cover of a third party manual for one of my Canon's (written by Taylor?) had a fold out on the cover that was neutral grey and was intended for this. I have used it with good results. For indoor light's (think gym) use anti flicker or shots will be inconsistent.