Settings for child portraits on Nikon D3200

mlc90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I have recently bought a Nikon D3200 and would like to start doing toddler portraits as a hobby, the only problem is when I've practiced shoots with friends children I'm not sure which settings to use and the pictures tend to come out blurry or the child isn't in focus. I take the pictures inside using the auto mode and also have a speedlite 75011 for the flash. I would like to know which settings would be best used to capture a moving child and how I could make them the focus point instead of it being blurry. Any information would be great. Thanks

A faster shutter speed stops motion blur, and so does flash.

The aperture has a pronounced effect on the depth of field.

You need to balance your aperture, shutter, and light in order to produce consistently clean photos.

Start with determining the maximum aperture, and maybe a bit smaller to include the entire subject. Then consider your shutter speed to stop the motion of a moving subject. Finally, adjust your flash for exquisite lighting.

Last edited:
Thanks how do I change the settings on a Nikon, I've watched you tube videos but they are to change separate sweating a for the aperture and then separate settings for shutter speed. So not sure how to change them.

Hi I have recently bought a Nikon D3200 and would like to start doing toddler portraits as a hobby, the only problem is when I've practiced shoots with friends children I'm not sure which settings to use and the pictures tend to come out blurry or the child isn't in focus. I take the pictures inside using the auto mode and also have a speedlite 75011 for the flash. I would like to know which settings would be best used to capture a moving child and how I could make them the focus point instead of it being blurry. Any information would be great. Thanks

• Use S-mode (rotate the top Dial to S)
  • Rotate the Command dial (Top right of your camera) to set your desired shutter speed - you´d want around 1/500 to freeze motion for a moving toddler, maybe even faster (1/1000)
  • Set ISO to auto (ISO amplyfies the available light to achieve the desired shutter speed - but it comes with a drawback: the image quality decreases due to noise)
  • Set the Focus Mode to AF-C (continuous focus will keep focussing while your object is moving towards or from the camera - but in order to work correctly, it usually needs quite a lot of light)
  • you can select a specific focus point, so that you can for example focus on the eye (which is usually what you want)
That is just a very brief walkthrough. In general I´d try to find time to learn and understand the basics of photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back