Settings for D90 (fast moving sport)

igloopants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D90 (18-55 and 55-200DX VR).

I took some pictures of sport (bball game) and most of them are blurry..

Is it best to use manual mode? And what settings would I have everything on?

I tried that, but sport mode just makes 1 point of focus instead of the 11..

Still blurry..

Is manual mode with certain settings not the best way to go then?

Try setting your aperture to a low number and then playing with your shutter speed. If you can get enough light into your camera you can have a fast shutter speed that will stop the blur.

Edit: Looking at some of my old ones my settings were:

Aperture: 4.5 (best I could do with with the lens).

Shutter speed: 1/100 (IMO not fast enough but the lighting sucked)

Is there an exact ideal setting I can use?

Not really..

Shoot in Shutter Priority and set the shutter for the speed that will freeze the sport you are shooting......
Use the lowest ISO you can, but adjust where necessary to keep the exposure balanced.
For control of depth of field and shutter, you will need to be in manual. Then it's just a case of dialing it in. Give priority to your shutter, then bring your aperture to where you want it for DOF, then fine tune with your ISO and exposure compensation. Once it's set you should be good to go if you keep the same light.

For this sort of sport you always use aperture priority if your not used to using manual, open your aperture as wide as possible (smallest number) and at iso3200 and you will get the fastest shutter speed possible for the given aperture but i don't think your lenses will be fast enough, setting it to shutter priority to a given speed to stop motion with your lenses will give you underexposed images

+1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^. So was "bball" basketball or baseball?

You'll also need to set up your auto focus. Start with AF-C.

I also recommend you move the AF function from the shutter release button to the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera (see your users manual AF-On).

Last edited:
I'm thinking those lenses are too slow. I try shooting Gymnastics with a crappy slow lens. I have to shoot NEF, ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of down to around 1/160. Too slow. I then have to go into CS3 and increase the Exposure to brighten it up.

I would think the same thing would need to be done with Bball.

A fast 2.8 lens would be ideal.

I'm thinking those lenses are too slow. I try shooting Gymnastics with a crappy slow lens. I have to shoot NEF, ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of down to around 1/160. Too slow. I then have to go into CS3 and increase the Exposure to brighten it up.

I would think the same thing would need to be done with Bball.

A fast 2.8 lens would be ideal.

85mm F1.8 if you can get near enough

So was "bball" basketball or baseball?.
I'm guessing this time of year it would be basketball.

Those lenses will not be fast enough for indoor sports. Your only option is to crank the ISO up and add some +EV....... or open up your wallet. :D

Shutter priority, fast shutter speed will freeze the action.

And give you underexposed images because his lenses are not fast enough, aperture priority is the way to go if you are not confident with manual, i have been shooting sports for years

Most reactions

Back