Settings for nightclub??

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Total amateur here, anyway. I was trying to take some photos in a night club last night but they all came out terrible no matter what iso, shutter speed and flash power I used. Automatic mode actually came out the best but still quite blurry because the people were moving so much, and maybe i wasnt so steady after a few drinks as well. Any suggestions?? What would some good settings be?

My camera is a Canon SX150 so nothing fancy but does have a lot of manual options.

Flash should work. IMHO Flash is the best option.
And of course wider aperture.

Any settings you choose would depend on one thing:....the amount of light available. If it's dark, you'll need to raise your ISO in order to get your shutter speeds and apertures to where you want them in terms of stopping movement and depth of field.

If it's a fairly well-lit venue, then you can lower your ISO until you start getting into shutter speeds and apertures that are at your lowest acceptable limits.

Hmm, i guess i dont have an option for aperture on my camera, only shutter speed, flash power, iso, white balance and focus. What would some rough values be for a normal night club? Next time I will start with that and try to adjust, I tried for about 15 minutes with all different settings but couldnt find anything that was good enough. Also how about the flash power? I normally use it on low because any stronger and it tends to make everything too white. maybe i can make it stronger to lower iso and shutter speed?

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/20 second. Ballpark....totally ballpark....

If using flash, set it to Second Curtain Synch.

Ohhhhh thanks! I see it now. Actually the minimum aperture for my camera is 3.4 :/ I guess that is the reason for my bad quality pics.

Ohhhhh thanks! I see it now. Actually the minimum aperture for my camera is 3.4 :/ I guess that is the reason for my bad quality pics.

f/3.5 is the maximum aperture. Minimum is f/8.

When I read "nightclub" I thought "nightmare". hahaha
;)

Most reactions

Back