SF Photo Shoot

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone!

Next week I'm going to be in San Fransisco doing a photo shoot for him. He's a local DJ that wants some photos to put on his site and what not. I was thinking about using the Bay Bridge/ Golden Gate bridge as backdrops or even the whole city/cool urban drops. I don't have any light system setup..I'm just going to try my best to work with natural lighting and or on camera flash. The best suited lens for this type of work that I own would be my canon 100mm, which should be fine.

Can you guys give me some tips on portrait photography, (haven't really shot too much portraiture:blushing:) that would help me out in my final results.

Thanks!:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Of the two bridges, I'd use the Bay bridge and shoot by the Ferry building. Unless he's a country music dj, I'd stick with an urban theme. You can walk from the Ferry building right into an urban setting with cool architecture. That will save you time traveling and parking, etc. I'm not a pro but spend a good amount of time shooting SF and the bridges.

I've been trying natural light portraits and use a tripod, reflector disc and remote shutter release since it's just me. I can be my own assistant. :lol:

Of the two bridges, I'd use the Bay bridge and shoot by the Ferry building. Unless he's a country music dj, I'd stick with an urban theme. You can walk from the Ferry building right into an urban setting with cool architecture. That will save you time traveling and parking, etc. I'm not a pro but spend a good amount of time shooting SF and the bridges.

I've been trying natural light portraits and use a tripod, reflector disc and remote shutter release since it's just me. I can be my own assistant. :lol:

ok cool. ya I'll bring my tripod and shutter release w/ me. don't have a reflector disc...yet

Grab a silver or gold car reflector at least. Cheap alternative, but effective, though the light in CA is almost always great except at midday. I second the Ferry idea. Perfect location.

Are you Andy Towers? Is the guy in the photo Andy Towers? Did someone else make that photo?

Wal-Mart has reflectors. AKA white foam board.

Why would you want to take a photo like that? It's got nasty halos from being way over edited. Way too much sharpening and clarity.

Also, if it's not your shot, then you're not supposed to post it; only link to it.

Aside from the obvious ridiculous flash and/or post-processing, if that's the guy's style, then it's his style to stand there like that.

If it's a girl, let her hair down and get her to show her style. That's the most important thing. Jumpin' is cool, wind makes things cool and remember to not be shy and use your resources. Don't be afraid to tell them to lean against something or whatnot.

This is all kind of just ideas since I've never given someone a serious shoot before, but this is what I'd think would work into it, :(

Most reactions

Back