Shadows of sunlight

abhishekdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I somehow liked the scene but it was quite difficult for me to express it in pictures. Tried my level best and here is the picture . Request your opinion on the same . Guess the ISO for I did a blunder in this picture but happy somehow could pull it off ;)

black_white.jpg

Looks like one of those scenes that really can't be captured, partly because its dynamic range is too large and partly because the experience you had involved peripheral elements that are not in the frame and possibly even non-visual elements. It is interesting to look at for the details in the water and the rocks, but the composition is a problem for me. Everything that seems like an important element (large rocks, the lighter trees) is distributed right around the edges of the frame. A photo with the large rocks completely within the frame and showing just water and some rocks would be more interesting.

Note taken into account.. Next time i am there will take some pics of the rocks and just the water but would like to know how do i capture the shadows, the large dynamic range. I have tried to bracket the shots into 3 - +2,0-2 and then merge them into HDR in photoshop. But want to know if its at all possible with a cropped sensor DSLR to capture the scene with only 1 exposure. If so, how do I find the exposure. Do I need a light meter to find the correct exposure?

there is something very disturbing about the water, it looks like noise on an old analogue TV, not pleasing to my eye at all.

Besides that I do like the scene.

To lose some of the shadows or some of the highlights is not always bad for the mood of a scene. If the whole scene on average plays in the same middle grey, it looks rather unnatural. You do have some contrast in the details here, but almost no contrast on larger scales.

Most reactions

Back