Shallow depth of field and Headshots

I usually always shoot wide open even in the studio. But this question is 100% subjective. That's the style I like. View attachment 141020

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
Nice work! I would have guessed you had used window lighting if it weren't for the catchlights (proving that light source doesn't matter, it's all about how you use the light).

. At the end of the day it really is subjective though.

I think you need to put things in perspective. Mom & Dad taking snapshots of the kids are creating memories. There's little regard for artistic expression because the only purpose that image has is to record a slice of time that when viewed at a later time, will bring back memories of the day. The more data it includes the more memories it invokes.

Photographers and artists that (paint, draw, sculpt, carve) aren't recording the scene verbatim, they're creating the scene. What they choose to show/not show is always subjective. And that is why you have those who would be blind to one vision and love another. Add to that changing tastes, styles, fads, processes, technology, etc. and you have an area always ripe for discussion.

Business Headshots I typcially stop down to f/5.6 to f/8
Just because some people can't nail the focus down at f/1.4 does not mean that someone else can't.
View attachment 141021
The perspective I often see isn't about nailing the focus in the right spot, it's usually about having enough in focus, such as the ears, nose and clothing. I've been read on that sort of thing, especially for headshots, being told that my photos are a failure for only the thin depth of field. I've actually had actors ask me to do this for their headshots though, and they even linked me to a number of succesful celebrity headshot photographers who do mind blowingly good work and use a razor thin depth of field. The fact that many of the succesful high-end pros in the industry shoot with a shallow depth of field like this leads me to feel their work speaks volumes more than the photographers who decide an image is a complete failure if you don't have EVERY detail in complete, perfect focus. To me, ears aren't really important in a headshot, so theres no reason to have sharp focus on them. I want the viewer to focus on the eyes and the expression, or the overall feeling, not the ears. At the end of the day it really is subjective though. Just a shame that someone would be blind to good work because they can't see past the fact that the ears are out of focus lol.

Great headshot by the way.
Part of it is a matter of pride.
The student or mom&pop doing headshots is unlikely able to afford the really fast glass or have the skill required to get those razor thin DOF shots. High End Pros something do it because 1. they can 2. they like the aesthetic 3. headshots for actors are really about whether they can engage you with the eyes - everything else is a distraction.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back