Shallow DOF lens?

jshelto3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really enjoy shooting with a very shallow depth of field. I believe this is called macro shooting but, if I am wrong please correct me. I am using a D100 with a 28-100mm F/3.5-5.6G. I have taken several that I have been pleased with but, I have noticed a few problems. What would be a few lenses to look into? I would like to have some type of zoom capability. Since I am not going out to buy this tomorrow price is flexible but I do believe less than a $1,000 is my limit no matter what.

Macro just is just shooting things that are very small and making them fill a lot of the picture. It is a style of shooting almost like sports photography.

Depth of field has to do with the aperture of the lens. The wider open the lens the shallower the depth of field. So you would be looking for lens at f/2.8 or f/1.8. There are plenty of zooms that are f/2.8 and I would look at those. if you want macro capabilities as well looks for a macro zoom with around f/2.8

What exactly is the difference between a "macro" zoom and a regular zoom. I have heard about lenses have macro settings.

it just means they have the ability to focus closer, a true macro lens gives 1:1 magnification ratio

What exactly is the difference between a "macro" zoom and a regular zoom. I have heard about lenses have macro settings.
Macro zooms are not true macro lenses zooms with macro ability is usually 1:2 ratio. where a true macro is 1:1

ok, that does make sense. I am more interested in a shallow DOF than true macro shooting. I can say that now that I know the difference. What are a few good lenses to look into? I am already looking into 35-70 f/2.8.

that would be a good lens! if you want something faster you could get one or more primes

Part of a lens' "signature" you should examine when shooting shallow DOF is the smoothness or how visual pleasing the bokeh the lens renders. Is it harsh? Is it silky smooth?

There are many variables that go into how a shallow DOF photo is rendered. One of those variables is circular shape of the aperture diaphragm. As a Canon shooter, we often compare the 50mm f1.8 versus the more expensive 50mm f1.4. One of the clear differences is the number of aperture blades. The f1.8 has 5 versus 8 in the f1.4 version. Because of the extra blades the shape of the aperture opening is "rounder" in the more expensive version. This allows the 50mm f1.4 to produce smoother bokeh than the 50mm f1.8. The area that is out of focus is much more pleasing to the eye when shot with the 50mm f1.4 and its 8 blade aperture diaphragm. Leica takes it even further with their expensive lenses ... sometimes employing aperture diaphragms with 16 or so blades. The idea is to produce an aperture opening as round as possible.

There are other more complicated things at work as well. I find it easier just to find samples of photos shot with various lenses and see for myself.

Thank you. The blades do make sense. I just don't know if I would like a prime lens. I have always had some kind of zoom. The Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR also seems to fit the bill. Are there any opinions on these particular lenses. I still worry about going with an off brand lens though.

As others have indicated, "macro" means the ability to focus at short distances. DoF is the result of a combination of aperture and/or focusing distance. With a macro, it's the short distance that gives the shallow DoF.

If you want shallow DoF at "regular" distances, such as eight to ten feet, you need a very large aperture, typically found only on "prime" (non-zoom) lenses. This shot was taken with the Nikon 50 mm f/1.4 wide open on a D80 body. Distance was roughly eight feet.

http://web.mac.com/george.dick/Photos/Katie.html

That is the type of shooting I am talking about. I have never used a prime lens before, so I just am unsure about losing the zoom capability. Is it a big change that will take a lot of getting used to? It would be used alot for when I am just walking around. I don't plan to shoot too much wildlife so that won't be too much of a problem.

That is the type of shooting I am talking about. I have never used a prime lens before, so I just am unsure about losing the zoom capability. Is it a big change that will take a lot of getting used to? It would be used allot for when I am just walking around. I don't plan to shoot too much wildlife so that won't be too much of a problem.
If your looking for portrait pictures that is all I use is a prime. The majority of my pictures are portraits majority taken with a 50mm f2.8 1:1 macro prime lens which is a 75mm on my D-slr perfect for portrait work. if your worried about not having a zoom you only need to take a step forward or backward to zoom My lens can shoot as close as a few inches from my subject, and a prime is going to give you a cleaner picture than a zoom will also

I think I might just have to try a prime lens and see what I think about it. I guess it is time to start searching through them and see what I think.

Primes! love em. For portraits.. you have the time and space to move. The convenience of a zoom should take second to the image quality from a prime.

Most reactions

Back