Shaper Images w/ T3i?

TheBromad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having trouble getting clean sharp images with my t3i. I currently only have the kit lenses (which I know aren't the greatest) but I wasn't sure if I'm not getting sharp images because I'm doing something wrong or it's just the camera's max potential. I know the f stop plays a role and I've watched every YouTube video under the sun on understanding the f stops but it's like trying to learn math all over again lol does any one have a simple way of explaining this?

The lens plays a big role too.
Consumer grade lenses are generally not as sharp as pro grade lenses.
But there are quite a few considerations:
How Do I Use My Digital SLR?: How to Get Sharply Focused Images
How Do I Use My Digital SLR?: How Do I use My Auto Focus? Part-1
How Do I Use My Digital SLR?: How Do I Use My Digital SLR's Auto Focus? Part-2

Your T3i has an anti-aliasing (AA) filter in front of the image sensor to control moiré and an AA filter softens focus.
I don't know how aggressive the AA filter is in a T3i, but I do know that each make and model camera has some variance in how aggressive the AA filter is.

Some Nikon cameras no longer have an AA filter so focus can be sharper, but without the AA filter are more susceptible to moiré.

Learn Photography Concepts

Here is an example if this helps...
IMG_3095.JPG

Looking at your picture I dont think camera shake is a problem but it is really under exposed.
Also I think your ISO is pretty high and that will translate into loss of detail.
t3i is a nice camera but has a rather old tech sensor, try to get a faster lens, maybe a 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8, these are cheap lenses, super sharp and bring much more light onto the sensor, this will mean sharper images and lower ISO.

Another option is bring a tripod, put camera on Manual and shoot at 100ISO and let the camera choose the shutter speed, for landscape shots this is a good system.

Good luck

Looking at your picture I dont think camera shake is a problem but it is really under exposed.
Also I think your ISO is pretty high and that will translate into loss of detail.
t3i is a nice camera but has a rather old tech sensor, try to get a faster lens, maybe a 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8, these are cheap lenses, super sharp and bring much more light onto the sensor, this will mean sharper images and lower ISO.

Another option is bring a tripod, put camera on Manual and shoot at 100ISO and let the camera choose the shutter speed, for landscape shots this is a good system.

Good luck
I know, I shot this with my 18-55 and if I brought the exposure up any more the sunlight coming through the canopy would have over exposed the top of the photo.... That's what I hate about these lenses it seems like there is no happy medium when it comes to exposure.... It's either over or under

To be honest, the overexposed issue was not lens related. It is the recording medium cannot handle such wide dynamic range. Over cast day or different time of the day may help.

To be honest, the overexposed issue was not lens related. It is the recording medium cannot handle such wide dynamic range. Over cast day or different time of the day may help.
So it was the camera?

First off, I wouldn't call that an underexposed photo. The waterfall is white. The shadows are dark, but there is just too much dynamic range for most sensors to capture it all.
Dynamic range is the camera sensor... and a t3i is old tech for its sensor but to be fair, so is the t5i... just with the latest t6i has the sensor upgraded.
The lack of sharpness is the lens. A kit lens just isn't going to be tack sharp. I can't read the EXIF data but the other thing that will affect sharpness is the ISO. If you shot this on a t3i with pretty much anything above ISO 800 then you aren't going to have a sharp picture. Then the shutter speed could affect it. Because the still objects seem sharper than the things that can move, like leaves that can blow in a breeze.

Mainly-- your camera can get sharp pictures, but you need to learn the factors that make something tack sharp and master those. Because getting new gear won't affect your shots until you know how to use what you have to its fullest potential.

For the slightly blur issue, was the photo taken hand held?

First off, I wouldn't call that an underexposed photo. The waterfall is white. The shadows are dark, but there is just too much dynamic range for most sensors to capture it all.
Dynamic range is the camera sensor... and a t3i is old tech for its sensor but to be fair, so is the t5i... just with the latest t6i has the sensor upgraded.
The lack of sharpness is the lens. A kit lens just isn't going to be tack sharp. I can't read the EXIF data but the other thing that will affect sharpness is the ISO. If you shot this on a t3i with pretty much anything above ISO 800 then you aren't going to have a sharp picture. Then the shutter speed could affect it. Because the still objects seem sharper than the things that can move, like leaves that can blow in a breeze.

Mainly-- your camera can get sharp pictures, but you need to learn the factors that make something tack sharp and master those. Because getting new gear won't affect your shots until you know how to use what you have to its fullest potential.[/QUOTI don't think I shot this at anything higher than 800iso.... The only thing I know I'm doing wrong is getting the right f-stop for the right focal length, but I can't figure out how to do this, like I said originally, it's hard to understand lol

Mainly-- your camera can get sharp pictures, but you need to learn the factors that make something tack sharp and master those. Because getting new gear won't affect your shots until you know how to use what you have to its fullest potential.[/QUOT

I don't think I shot this at anything higher than 800iso.... The only thing I know I'm doing wrong is getting the right f-stop for the right focal length, but I can't figure out how to do this, like I said originally, it's hard to understand lol

For the slightly blur issue, was the photo taken hand held?
I took this a couple of months ago so I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was.... But even with a tripod I'm having trouble getting sharp images

The f-stop affects your depth of field... which is how much of the frame is in focus. But the problem with this picture is that while its mostly in focus throughout... suggesting a large f-stop number (small aperature) there is still blur.

If you try to hand hold a photo at a shutter speed of below 1/60 then you are going to introduce motion blur, affecting your sharpness. If you used a tripod but didn't use a remote trigger, you will introduce blur. If you use a tripod but the breeze blows it will introduce blur.

I'm guessing here because I can't read your EXIF to be certain, but I think the problem here is motion blur not f-stop.

Here are 2 more examples one before and after post
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Most reactions

Back