Sharpening on Camera

Bravotwofive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot Canon. 2 Digital, and 1 Film. The film is not an issue. My question is do you turn off sharpening completely, and then deal with it post proc, or do you let the camera do it's thing.
Thanks
chuck

Agreed. If not shooting RAW, yes, turn it off. In-camera sharpening is just...*shudder*

shooting in any jpeg format automatically makes all kinds of adjustments, not limited to sharpness. of course, you can make the necessary adjustments in PP to get your desired result.

Due to the RGBG pattern of the sensor and the interpolation the picture goes through you ALWAYS need to have at least one sharpening stage.

But with multiple sharpening stages you are pretty much guaranteed to get worse results. If you disable sharpening completely in camera then you MUST put each and every picture through some post processing. And if you do that they you may as well shoot in RAW and have even more control over the quality of your image.

Actually, you can't disable sharpening in-camera when shooting JPEG. Regardless of the sharpening setting in the camera, even if one option is labeled "off" or "none", there is some minimal sharpening done when the initial RAW image is converted to a JPEG in-camera. The in-camera control is merely a choice of sharpening levels.

This means and if you do additional sharpening in post you will be, in effect, sharpening multiple times. That a doublely bad thing since you are not only sharpening multiple times but you are also sharpening the artifacts that resluted from the lossy JPEG compression that were generated when the camera created the JPEG it saved.

If you shoot JPEG you should adjust the sharpening setting so that you get the proper sharpening for each image. This may mean different camrea setting for different images.

Most reactions

Back