shattered UV filter and resulting lens scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

punch

My toddler just dropped my 17-40mm on the floor and the UV filter shattered. Then he smudged peanut butter fingers all over the actual lens. (HORROR).

I've got things mostly cleaned up but I can see one visible scratch on the lens. It can focus through it, right? Say it's okay... because I worked my ass off to make enough to purchase this lens for a trip to Italy.

Thanks.

Individual front element scratches usually have extremely minimal impact on image quality... (like, minimal enough that you'll probably never detect the change even if you look). If it is going to appear at all, it'll happen at extremely tight apertures.

I read an article though where someone balled up pieces of tape and stuck them to a front element and you still couldn't see them in the final image.

Lots of tiny microscratches from improper cleaning you will notice as reduced contrast. But one big scratch really shouldn't matter.

thanks. i aspirated a cheeto when i saw the lens.

i used "lens cleaner" and a micro-fibre lens cloth to get the PB off... and compressed air to get rid of the bits of glass first.

it SEEMS like everything is just fine. i finally make the leap to an L lens and i've only had it two weeks.

i'm just so horrified still.

Why was your toddler playing with a high priced lens?

Have a read here: LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches
Whilst not ideal to have scratches it certainly shows that you can sustain a lot of damage to a lens front element before it really makes a big effect to overall optical quality.

You've also learnt the important lesson that UV filters protect only against small, light damage and that with a more intensive impact can do more harm than good by shattering and scratching the lens.

Just glad that the peanut butter smudging didn't result in glass in the fingers.

No insurance? highly recommended.. and you can usually add a rider to your home insurance!

Have a read here: LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches
Whilst not ideal to have scratches it certainly shows that you can sustain a lot of damage to a lens front element before it really makes a big effect to overall optical quality.

You've also learnt the important lesson that UV filters protect only against small, light damage and that with a more intensive impact can do more harm than good by shattering and scratching the lens.

Just glad that the peanut butter smudging didn't result in glass in the fingers.

i had just read that here from one of you... that the filters do more damage than help to a lens and i meant to take it off.

the insurance is a good tip... i hadn't even thought to do that. thanks.

No insurance? highly recommended.. and you can usually add a rider to your home insurance!

Make very very very sure you read the fine print if you get a rider on the home insurance. I've read of one or two horror stories where people have gotten a rider, claimed on it a few times and then found their home owners insurance skyrocket up. Insurance companies don't like people that actually claim and you can quickly end up on a blacklist whereby some won't touch you and those that do will give you a very high cost.
Sometimes its better to get a separate insurance on items more likely to get damaged so you can claim and not worry if you have to drop that separate insurance.

Make very very very sure you read the fine print if you get a rider on the home insurance. I've read of one or two horror stories where people have gotten a rider, claimed on it a few times and then found their home owners insurance skyrocket up. Insurance companies don't like people that actually claim and you can quickly end up on a blacklist whereby some won't touch you and those that do will give you a very high cost.
Sometimes its better to get a separate insurance on items more likely to get damaged so you can claim and not worry if you have to drop that separate insurance.

Good call.. mine is separate (commercial).. but for those with the home insurance riders..yea.. watch it! :)

I'm not irresponsible with my gear, if that's what you're asking.

Kid or not, I wouldn't keep my gear in the line of harm.

People put child safe locks on cabinet doors that have dangerous and consumable chemicals in them... People put plastic guards over their electrical outlets... People put water wings on their children when they're learning to swim. People should have the common sense to protect THEIR things in the process of protecting their kid.

I'm truly sorry that you've only had the lens for two weeks and it's already got some cosmetic damage on it, that really does suck... But you also left it within your toddlers reach... While they were also eating/playing with peanut butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back