Shine some light on this nobb here?

syne'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, im new to the whole SLR scene. Im packin a simple Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens. Im looking for a nice biginners upgrade for my SLR. my budget is about 150.0 at the moment. So let me know what you guys/girls think. :D

keep the one fifty and get more money and come talk to us again :D

:(so theres nothin worth buying with that budget? around what price range should i be lookin forward to?

What do you currently have now?

What kind of photography are you interested in?

What kind of new equipment were you hoping to get?

If you're really new to photography work on your shooting skills first and then figure out what kind of equipment would help your shooting style.

Well what kind of lens do you need? What kind of photography do you do? You could always upgrade that kit lens, go wide angle, or go telephoto. You need to pick out a lens that will suit you the best

I had a beginner camera with me also (D60), I spend alittle more than what you are going to use, and it is on "a flash" which I find there is alot to learn and play with. The next step I would be doing is a 50mm f1.8 lens because I find out I would like to learn more on "how to take better portrait" as post #5 had mentioned "shooting style".

Kcc

well i mainly like taking action shots and wired angle shots. i only got a D40 with a 18-55mm with a 4gb sdcard. i would like somthin like a Telephoto, i like far shots also. im not really intrested in portrait type at the moment.

Hey guys, im new to the whole SLR scene. Im packin a simple Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens. Im looking for a nice biginners upgrade for my SLR. my budget is about 150.0 at the moment. So let me know what you guys/girls think. :D

well i mainly like taking action shots and wired angle shots. i only got a D40 with a 18-55mm with a 4gb sdcard. i would like somthin like a Telephoto, i like far shots also. im not really intrested in portrait type at the moment.

You might consider the 55-200mm to complement your 18-55mm. It's only $180 at B&H. For $45 more you can get the VR version. Although I'd shop around, B&H's Nikon prices have jumped in the last few weeks.

For example, Amazon.com has the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200mm-f4-5-6G-Nikkor-Black/dp/B0009HN57Y/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235028248&sr=8-2"]55-200mm[/ame] for $169 and the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200mm-4-5-6G-AF-S-Nikkor/dp/B000O161X0/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235028248&sr=8-1"]VR version[/ame] for $203.

Last edited:
You might consider the 55-200mm to complement your 18-55mm. It's only $180 at B&H. For $45 more you can get the VR version. Although I'd shop around, B&H's Nikon prices have jumped in the last few weeks.

For example, Amazon.com has the 55-200mm for $169 and the VR version for $203.

Agreed. I sold my 55-200 VR because it wasn't fast enough for me, and yet I regret it every day. You can find old 55-200's used for less that $150. Although they won't be VR, they are still quality lenses.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
aahh i see.. sorry for another noob question, But whats the different between VR and regular lens? and do you guys trust refurbished products ?

Hmmm...

The VR uses Vibration Reduction motors to help hold the lens steady.

However, my first question would be...What kind of photographs do you currently take with your D40....

...In other words,...What are you doing now that you feel you need an upgrade for..or to...

The D40 is a very capable camera that can take outstanding photographs, so if you are now at the point where you are trying to take photographs of a type that the camera is unable to provide without an upgrade, then what would that be....:wink:

Once we know where the D40 is failing you, then we can make a more intelligent recommendation.....:D

aahh i see.. sorry for another noob question, But whats the different between VR and regular lens? and do you guys trust refurbished products ?

It is Nikonian for Vibration Reduction, and Canon's version is IS for Image Stabilization.

If you needed to ask what VR is, I don't really think you need it, yet. Learn how to take pictures first, then determine if you need the bells & whistles.

I will trust refurbs if they are factory, come from a reputable dealer, & come with some kind of warranty better than 5 minutes or 50ft.

VR (which is like IS for canon) stands for Vibration Reduction and its a mechanism inside the lens countering the movement of your hands there fore reducing blurriness in photos and helps use a bit lower shutter speeds handheld

EDIT: damn, Phranquey beat me to it ;D

I have the same setup as you and started of exactly how you did. I ended up getting the 55-200mm VR. I love it. I will admit I would like it to be faster, and am currently considering selling it/trading it for a faster lens like the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Most reactions

Back