Shoot Through Umbrellas

picky54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently purchased a Cowboystudio outfit with 105w CFLs and shoot through umbrellas. was expecting to get a "Full Moon" type of light but am getting an 8 point star effect. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal and should I be looking at reflecting umbrellas instead to give me more light.This is my first time useing studio lighting but have been an enthusiastic amature photographer for many years, currently useing a Nikon D7000.

Attachments

• $Shoot through.jpg
    $Shoot through.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 140
Well, that umbrella has eight ribs, and eight fabric segments...its reflection will have an eight-sided shape.Now, on "people shots" the eight-sided shape is barely noticeable; on things like glassware and highly reflective, hard-surfaced objects, yes, the reflections will likely be larger and much quite-noticeable.

Thanks for the reply but my point is the amount of light getting to the subject is not what I was expecting, and without pushing the ISO considrably thus giving me a grainier shot I would have to use my SB600. Sould I consider investing in a couple of reflecting umbrellas, or is there anyway I can get more light from the shoot through's.

Thanks for the reply but my point is the amount of light getting to the subject is not what I was expecting, and without pushing the ISO considrably thus giving me a grainier shot I would have to use my SB600. Sould I consider investing in a couple of reflecting umbrellas, or is there anyway I can get more light from the shoot through's.

Either try a reflecting umbrella, a softbox or buy more speedlights (or a more powerful one).

Thanks for that Sparky, looks like the reflecting umbrella is my best (subsitute cheapest lol) option, unless anyone else has any ideas. Can you buy 4 rib umbrellas?

Can you post a photo of the unsatisfactory results from a shoot-through brolly? They really don't zapped that more illuminance from an SB600. A reflective brolly will contain the bounced light better than a shoot-through, but the thing to consider it it will also cast a more contrasy light as opposed to the softer light of a shoot through. There are multiple factors that may contribute to your dissatifaction that may not be the shoot-through's fault.

Just a quick point kundalini, I am useing 2 x105w CFL lights on stands with the umbrellas,I thought I would have enough light with that but this is not so, I just thought it was my inexperience,however it does seem reflective is the way to go, or soft boxes. to avoid useing flash. Any advice is most welcome though.

Here is a tip I like to tell:

shutter speed = ambient light
aperture = Strobe lights

With strobe you should get enough light, try testing at different apertures at 200 iso.

Also posting some photos of the "unsatisfactory results" would help.

Also 105w is more for product, backlighting or hair lights IMO. The SB600 would be perfect for a shoot through and you shouldn't have any issues. Even at 1/4 power.

Shoot the flash in manual mode and control the amount of flash.

Last edited:
J I am useing 2 x105w CFL lights on stands with the umbrellas,I thought I would have enough light with that but this is not so, I just thought it was my inexperience,however it does seem reflective is the way to go, or soft boxes. to avoid useing flash. Any advice is most welcome though.

Well...there's the root of the problem, right there!!!! "2 x105w CFL lights"

I completely agree. Those are hardly ever used with a diffuser in my studio unless they are really close to the subject, ie. product photo.

As for unsatifactory results , None to show I deleted them but will take some more and repoat another day .

My bad. I did read your original post, but when I read post #3, that thought flew out the window. FYI, continuous lighting will never give you the punch of a speedlight. Softboxes will require more luminance (eat up more lumens') than a brolly, but they will also direct (concetrate) your light spread to a better degree, more so the a reflective brolly.

Flash is your friend. Don't be scared to use it.

Ok Derrel, could you expand on that for me please

Well...those just do not put out "that much light"...they typically require relatively long shutter speeds at moderate ISO values...an example might be ISO 320 at 1/15 second at f/5.6...

So basiclly I have purchased a dud outfit, despite the reviews from cutomers saying it worked, as I said I have no previous experience with studio lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back