Shoot Wide Open

Shallow DOF is fantastically cool, but so is shooting a oil refinery at 12 midnight at 17mm @F14. Different tools for different jobs. Both are worthy jobs.

Speaking of which, how's the FBI treating you these days? Any more visits lately?

Ridiculous. Many subjects need depth of field, its knowing when/why to use whichever and the control of DOF that makes a photographer. H

The OP is new(just like me), can people please start considering that, and try not to be so harsh.

He didn't even say that DOF isnt needed. Read it again.

Interesting... I will try to let all the macro people I know shooting 2:1 through 5:1 that they should be shooting wide open with virtually zero DOF rather than at f/11-f/13. Thanks for the headsup. :roll:

A landscape shot at F1.2 won't be much of a landscape will it, sorry your post is BS

If your focus distance is so far (landscape), does it matter if you are shooting wide open other than you are letting in more light?

A landscape shot at F1.2 won't be much of a landscape will it, sorry your post is BS

If your focus distance is so far (landscape), does it matter if you are shooting wide open other than you are letting in more light?

I am not sure if you understand how narrow a DOF you will have with a 1.2 lens.

There are very few lenses that have that large of a maximim apeture as large as 1.2 to begin with.

I own a 35mm 1.4L and even that lens wide open has a razor thin DOF.

A common landscape shot wide open with it usually would be a bad capture.

The exception is if you are really trying to isolate something specific in the shot. For example a lighthouse, leaving pretty much everything else out of focus.

A shot like that would usually be better showing the ocean and rocks, or whatever is around it for the full effect.

Last edited:
Neil, I understand it if the subject is not infinity zoom. I can take a photo of a mountain with wide open and nothing is blurred with my f/1.4 wide open. I am just saying.

Neil, I understand it if the subject is not infinity zoom. I can take a photo of a mountain with wide open and nothing is blurred with my f/1.4 wide open. I am just saying.

Well to be honest I just got my 1.4L rescently and haven't really tested shooting something distant wide open.

I just know how narrow the DOF is with close objects.

I think you have given me a project, to test the DOF of my lens wide open on somthing distant.:thumbup:

go take mount fuji with wide open. Is that close from where you are? LOL

go take mount fuji with wide open. Is that close from where you are? LOL

Na I am way up north, close to Aomori-Shi. We do have a large mountain in view where I am though, its called Hakkoda.

I will try to shoot it tomorrow wide open once its light out(weather permitting) and will post the pics.

Ill probably use my 70-200mm too, maybe with 1.4x TC as well. As I have not tested the combo yet.

I am not sure if you understand how narrow a DOF you will have with a 1.2 lens.

There are very few lenses that have that large of a maximim apeture as large as 1.2 to begin with.

I own a 35mm 1.4L and even that lens wide open has a razor thin DOF.

A common landscape shot wide open with it usually would be a bad capture.

The exception is if you are really trying to isolate something specific in the shot. For example a lighthouse, leaving pretty much everything else out of focus.

A shot like that would usually be better showing the ocean and rocks, or whatever is around it for the full effect.

Depth of field is infinite for objects at infinity. Even the circle of confusion becomes irrelevant when everything in view is at infinity, as there are no defocused objects.

Depth of field is infinite for objects at infinity. Even the circle of confusion becomes irrelevant when everything in view is at infinity, as there are no defocused objects.

I guess I didn't really realize this.

When I shoot the mountain I will probably understand it better, its quite far from here.

infinity focus is not that far Neil.

infinity focus is not that far Neil.

Ya it seems I still got some stuff to learn.

Check out the shot that I just put up in the landscape section for C&C and tell me what you think.

Most reactions

Back