What's new

Shooting an image that will be converted to B&W ?

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
229
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When shooting, is there some things that you do differently, when you know that you will convert your image to a high quality B&W ?

Or eveything you do is just the same as when you know that will let your image in color ?

Thanks guys !!!
 
No, when shooting images that will be eventually seen as B&W, I shoot in Monochrome capture mode, using the simultaneous RAW + JPEG capture mode, which produces a black and white JPEG image, so that the initial in-camera review and exposure decisions are all done in black and white. The RAW file has color data, while the JPG capture seen in the field on the camera's LCD screen will show what the images needs, exposure and composition-wise, to make a good B&W final image.
 
I wouldn't say that it's something that I do differently....but I do try to remind myself that contrasting colors won't contrast as much in B&W (depending on the processing)...so sometimes I might not avoid something that I would when shooting in color. Or more likely, I'll be shooting something that does have distracting color elements and I'll tell myself that I'll just convert it to B&W ;)
 
I don't do anything different. Only rarely do I plan to convert an image, almost always it's a case of looking at an image in post and deciding that it would work as a monochrome. Shoot the best image you can with the greatest exposure latitude you can.
 
Great tips and info guys.

You are always very helpful !!!
 
When shooting, is there some things that you do differently, when you know that you will convert your image to a high quality B&W ?

Or eveything you do is just the same as when you know that will let your image in color ?

Thanks guys !!!

If you're using photoshop or a similar program where you can convert to black and white and set the levels based on the colors, then you should probably be shooting in color.

That way you should have much more control over how the photo is going to turn out. I don't like letting my camera do the processing for me.
 
I havent found myself saying "oh, this is so a BW photo" that many times.

One recent time I was at a great scene where there was a staircase that was bright red, the rest had regular kinda boring colours. I didnt want to have the staircase as the main element, just another element. So I knew that shooting in BW would fix that.

But other than that, its more in photoshop after the fact that I start to see how things would be in BW.

I might be doing it work, but thats how I've been doing it :)
 
When shooting, is there some things that you do differently, when you know that you will convert your image to a high quality B&W ?

Or eveything you do is just the same as when you know that will let your image in color ?

Thanks guys !!!

If you're using photoshop or a similar program where you can convert to black and white and set the levels based on the colors, then you should probably be shooting in color.

That way you should have much more control over how the photo is going to turn out. I don't like letting my camera do the processing for me.

Of course, that's why I said convert ;)
 
lol, what is this ?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom