Shooting at indoor rodeo for practice next wkend/tips?

ThePaintedPony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I am face painting (and can't ride :() at the MSU Rodeo next weekend I wanted to get some practice so I am going to take my camera and have some fun.
I have a Canon 20D w/a 17-85mm IS; a 50mm 1.8 (I think that is it) and an older 70-200mm from my older SLR canon. The rodeo is indoors and I will have my tripod. So what are tips for ISO, DOF, etc? I want to just have fun and practice so any ideas? I like panning/blurring shots, also like the freeze action shots, any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

I have no idea how much you know about rodeo but you need to learn it, the most important thing in sports photography is anticipating the shot. If you watch a lot of rodeo and know how they come out of the shoots it will help. All of them have a signal to let the ones around them they are ready. This is for rough stock and roping events. If you don't know much watch some on youtube and learn what is going on. When you know where the action is going to be you can focus there and be ready for it. As far a settings go a lot depends on how bright it is inside. But I would use the shallowest DOF you can manage. Fans, equipment, staff etc in the background is distracting.

Ha that is funny. I guess I should look at post date

Still not a bad topic.

I’ve shot a ton of indoor sports. But only one night, outdoor, rodeo.

I shot it basically like basketball.

Lighting obviously makes a difference but wide open 1/500 shutter and auto ISO … and, yes, anticipation is a big deal, and my knowledge of rodeo is limited.

I don’t care how fast you think a lens can focus, rodeo, like basketball, can change at what seems like light speed.

I also did that with a Pleistocene era NIKON F4s and NIKKOR 80-200 F2.8 AF on ISO 800 film.

Still the lens I would choose if shooting from down and close. The NIKKOR 180 F2.8 AF if shooting from a second deck.

I am so glad we have AF lenses now. Trying to get good sports shots with MF sucked. So many out of focus shots. And all sports change so fast. I did a lot of Volleyball years ago and I just knew the team so well I could anticipate what they were doing and focus where I needed to be to get the action.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back