Shooting Children for Charity Event and Need Advice

margosoriginals

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I have a job interview/charity event shoot coming up on Tuesday, and I am really nervous! I got in contact with a couple of local photographers who's work I admire, and they basically told me that they needed some extra help at this event, and to consider it an interview! I am shooting at the Flashes of Hope charity event on Tuesday, with 2 other photographers. Flashes of Hope provides children with cancer and their families with portraits. I have only had my DSLR for about a year now, and I really want to impress these people, so I thought I'd ask you for any advice you can give on shooting children, and families. Any advice is greatly helpful! There will be backdrops, and studio lighting available. I have a canon rebel xs, with 18-55mm lens, also a 320ex speedlight flash, and an 85mm f/1.8 lens.

Good luck! I don't know that anyone could give you tips to impress someone as you don't know their standards or what they like, I do however think you're doing a great thing and regardless of them being happy or not you're being a great person.

Thanks! I am really excited, and also really nervous. I think it is a really great cause, and I am happy to be a part of it. I am also excited about the possible job prospect, and the opportunity to learn from professionals in the industry that I admire. I just hope it goes well, I'm kind of psyching myself out too much. If anyone can offer any pieces of advice for shooting children and families, it would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

If you are going to be mobile, Diffuse the flash (on flash bounce works well, or a small flash based softbox / diffuser like the Stofen or Gary Fong... anything is better than nothing.).... get it off camera if you can (bracket, whatnot) higher, over the lens (this will reduce shadows. If you are going for portrait type shots... watch your backgrounds, and try to maximize bokeh where you can (large aperture).

Thanks! I do have a diffuser but no bracket to mount it on.

What kind of photography do the photographers go for? Do they like a more posey, modely look? Or do they like natural? Me personally, I love natural and when it comes to kids, nothing is better than candid photos of children. I am sure you will do GREAT! Just relax, have fun, use all the skills you have, and put your best foot forward. Remember, children are always active, so watch your shutter speed and DOF because they're bound to go too fast for the shutter and go out of your DOF very quickly if you're not watching it. I would quickly invest a few bucks into a couple of reflectors to help you with light. I got a set of 5 from Amazon for 9 bucks. That way you can bounce light and fill in shadows and such. Good luck!!!

Off the top of my head, here are my suggestions

#1 Show up EARLY, ready to work, PREPARED
a. Show up early, probably before they arrive to get a "feel"
b.Have everything of yours ready to go. Lens cleaned, batteries charged, cards formatted
#2 Assist them in any way possible. Help with their gear
#3 Define their expectations of you. KNOW what they want you to do. Know your ASSIGNEMENT
#4 Take your time and do whatever you do correctly!

Thanks all! This is really great advice!

Outstanding advice from radiorick! Since you've got two days, spend them reading all you can about indoor portrait photography, and practicing. I would also go through as many images of this sort as you can to get an idea for what people like/want in this situation. The single most important factor is going to be your attitude.

Most reactions

Back