Shooting Engagement Session Secretly....

haring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to shoot an engagement session where the groom wants to propose his fiance in a way so that she is not aware of me (the photographer) taking pictures of them. What kind of tricks should I use so that she doesn't notice me? I am planning to use a long lens (around 200mm).

Do you have any ideas? Have you ever done this before?

Thanks!

Thats tough
Why don't you suggest that he tell his soon to be wife he wants to do pictures for the holidays then shoot a few holiday pictures have him propose then turn it into an engagment shoot?

Just a suggestion

Go to japan, train to be a ninja. Problem solved.
I have nothing relevant or helpful say except for what I have already said, so consider this a free bump.

If he proposes in a semi-public place it shouldn't be too hard to be around to capture the moment. A park would be ideal - public enough that you can move around without worry, but also not so crowed and closepressing as in indoor venue (where chances or someone standing in front of you or you having to be pretty close are greater).

If you can the groom can also scout out the place beforehand that would be ideal - then you can pick your spot based on lighting and he can get an idea of what your needs are for a good shot.

The other idea is that you do the photo session, but it might feel rather awkward for her and odd that he propose to her in front of the photographer during a shoot. Far better to do that after.

Also make sure you get paid before the event - just in case she says no!

This sounds pretty tough.

I think the only way that she would not notice you is if it were a very busy place. But then, you run the risk of always having people in the way of your shots.

If it's open enough for you to get an unobstructed view, it will be open enough for her to see you.

Maybe if it were somewhere with a lot of other cameras you could just blend in with all the other photographers.

I don't think he's going to want to propose at the zoo though... :lol:

I am planning to use a long lens (around 200mm).
Change your plan, try something more in the 500-600mm range. A one day rental shouldn't be too expensive.

Go to japan, train to be a ninja. Problem solved.
I have nothing relevant or helpful say except for what I have already said, so consider this a free bump.

Yes.

This.

Being stealthy like a ninja sounds like a great plan. However, not very logical haha. ( too bad ) id go with the scheme... " lets plan a photo shoot for holidays". Then everyones dressed up and prepared.... And viola! If all else fails, renting a lens with ninja like capabilities should work fine haha

fake another session. Grab two friends and fake an engagement shoot. have them in the same vicinity as your client and with the long lens simply "snipe" the proposal. Heck, to really push the charade after you get the shots and she says yes... SHE WILL SAY YES, walk up and say "hey guys my name is XXX I'm a photographer and I saw him proposing and actually got a shot, heres a card call me sometimes" then resume your "engagement shoot"

First step, I would say, is find out where he wants to do it.
Once you figure that out, I think the rest will fall into place (well, maybe).

Also consider that once he is proposing she may not be looking around at everyone. which means you don't have to be too far away.

fake another session.
Man, that's a great idea. I think that has the best chance of working.

i just picture her looking over and go. lets move we may be in there shot so they move and the cameraman and fake couple move so she moves to get out of the shot and its just these two couples in the park constantly moving like cat and mouse lol.

Well first you have to know where n when it's gunna happen.

My plan would be to bring a friend, preferably a girl, to shoot in their direction as he is doing his luvy thing. You just shoot past the friend n get em in the act and make your subject moves around to get in your angles.

Now of course you can do some nice work on him by asking him to take some pics of you n your girl friend, like tourists madly in love.... make it look good. Then of course take a turn to get his pic with his GF and make em get luvy duvy and that is when he can pop the question as you get it all on film.

Done deal!

fake another session.
Man, that's a great idea. I think that has the best chance of working.

i just picture her looking over and go. lets move we may be in there shot so they move and the cameraman and fake couple move so she moves to get out of the shot and its just these two couples in the park constantly moving like cat and mouse lol.

If it is a public enough place such as a park area I highly doubt they will move. You wouldn't believe how naive some people can be when you are shooting an engagement session on location.
It'd be important not to be directly on top of them but if you setup your shot and setup your exposure correctly a quick turn and click will get you the shot. Let us know what happens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back