Shooting in and Dark arena

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay im doing a photoshoot soon (Not professional or anything as im just a newbie who like photography LOL, Just shooting a friends and her horse for photography at achool) But the photos DO have to be good.
Im shooting a dressage rider and her horse in a indoor arena. The arena is fairly dark and im wondering how to get the best shots possible, as i really really dont want blurry photos!
im shooting with a Sony A200 75-300 lens.
To get and idea of how dark, heres a snapshot, Its pretty accurate to how dark the arena is :D

6934_163431956456_676001456_3430243_6784187_n.jpg

Fast glass = lenses with a large maximum aperture (eg 70-200 f2.8 zoom or 85mm f1.8, for example. the lower the f/number the better).

High ISO - I don't know how the A200 does at high ISO but you probably don't want to go above either 800 or 1600.

Can you use flash?

Aperture priority mode, and always use the largest aperture possible (smallest f/number) to let in the most light.

What focal length do you need to shoot around? You may end up needing a faster lens and your best bet is usually a prime (lens that doesn't zoom) for largest maximum aperture vs. cost.

I Could use a flash but i dont really want to as the shutter speed will then only 1/160. + i dont entirly like the effect the flash has (Nor do I want to spook the horse!!) but i will definatly try it to see how it goes. Also ill be doing continous shots to get a series of movements, and I dont know if you can do this very well with a flash on?
I will be shooting around all different focal lengths I think. Hard to say... But I will definatly need the zoom lens I think.

I Could use a flash but i dont really want to as the shutter speed will then only 1/160. + i dont entirly like the effect the flash has (Nor do I want to spook the horse!!) but i will definatly try it to see how it goes.
But, the flash duration of speedlights is so short it effectively stops motion. (about 1/1000 of a second at full flash power, as fast as 1/40,000 of a second at 1/64th power)

Exposure is controlled differently when you use flash. You can essentially control 2 exposures in a single image.

Aperture controls the exposure on the subject, shutter speed controls the exposure on the background.

But, the problem you would have using flash is that the light falls off as an inverse square function to distance. If the distance is doubled only 1/4 as much light gets to the subject, 1/2 as much. Double the distance again and only 1/16th as much light reaches the subject.

So your only real solution is faster glass and a body that has good high ISO performance so you don't have to use flash.

You can rent lenses and camera bodies.

Yeah thats unfortunate. But I cant afford anything better. I'm 16 and all my money goes toward my horses. unfortunalty photography is seconary while Im still riding.
But thanks for your help If i cant get anything decent in the indoor arena I'm just going to go outdorrs :D

Can you rent a lens?

Do a Google search for your area to see if any shops have a rental program.

It will be much cheaper and for your budget and needs, it may be the right fit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back