Shooting in auto mode

Kimbalina81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

This may be a completely stupid question, but I'm curious as to your opinions. Is it okay to or have you ever shot a wedding in auto mode? I'm just a little worried about all the goings-on and being able to capture all of the pictures while moving back and forth with different settings.

just as a little background- this is for my friend's wedding, it will be a very small (less than 10 people) backyard event- they're not dressing in traditional wedding garb (just regular clothes), and while I am the main photographer, all they're doing is a ceremony (his mom is marrying them) and she wants pictures of it. She's not particular over anything, but just the same, I am nervous and obviously want them to turn out well.

Thanks,

K

Last edited by a moderator:
Full auto mode removes all control over the artistic selection of settings that you have - you are left only with composition under your control and the camera itself won't be looking at the subjects nor the artistic direction you want to go in. It might will get the shots, but they might also be shots that are not suitable to present.

If anything I would urge you to use program mode which at least lets you change the aperture and shutter speed to other combinations based upon the meter reading.

However I'll also temper that advice with the point that if you don't feel ready to shoot you shouldn't really be shooting (note assumption being based here on you shooting a wedding as a pro/main shooter). If you want to get into the wedding business light its far far better to try and secure yourself a second shooting/intern-ship position with an already established professional photographer; this allows you to go - make mistakes and get a feel for the environment and experiment without risking the wedding day photos for the client.

If you are the last and only photographer hope for the wedding (ie they can't afford anyone else etc...) then I'd say don't try to capture everything, but focus down on really getting the important shots correctly - the ring - the walk - the cake cutting - the first dance etc... Get the key shots done well.

Thanks- just as a little background- this is for my friend's wedding, it will be a very small (less than 10 people) backyard event- they're not dressing in traditional wedding garb (just regular clothes), and while I am the main photographer, all they're doing is a ceremony (his mom is marrying them) and she wants pictures of it. She's not particular over anything, but just the same, I am nervous and obviously want them to turn out well. So you think that shooting in Program mode should be sufficient for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks again!

K

I was also thinking, as far as poses are concerned, that since it's not a traditional wedding, that perhaps I should go more of the "engagement type" portrait route.

Auto mode should work real well as long as the illumination and contrast are always within the pre-programmed meter parameters and the camera's scene memory.

If you are not comfortable with your camera controls and how they affect the image then you might have a better outcome with auto. At least you can immediately view the captured image on the camera's view screen. Best to set your display to show the histogram or at least to blink the blown highlights and then you can try and change the exposure parameters if you do get a missed exposure, be it under-exposed or over-exposed.

I personally hardly ever use the full program mode of my camera. I'll often, but far from always,go to aperture or shutter priority when my requirements demand it.

Good luck.

(Overread beat me to it!)

I shoot my pics in RAW, awesome quality as of exposure and colors, you KNOW how to use photoshop too, being a beginner don't leave you with many choices with lightning and studio set ups, makes sense? The more you learn about photography the better, know your camera, capture the moments you'll want the couple to see, get inspired, as emotional as the wedding could get (intimate with 10 people) focus on their emotions not yours k? Just some healthy advice. ;) don't feel nervous, enjoy it, that's whats all about.

Hi all,

This may be a completely stupid question, but I'm curious as to your opinions. Is it okay to or have you ever shot a wedding in auto mode? I'm just a little worried about all the goings-on and being able to capture all of the pictures while moving back and forth with different settings.

Thanks,

K

I that case you should not be shooting weddings, if your shooting wedding you should be able to shoot in manual and be able to adjust camera without thinking about it

Kimbalina81 - just to help avoid confusion I've slipped part of your latter post into your first to expand a little bit on your situation.

I think, based on your description and if you're not yet fully confident in using the semi-auto modes then program mode should suit you for getting the shots - at least for capturing a solid record shot if not having the greatest of artistic control. I'm not sure how long you have till the wedding, but I would encourage you to try working more in aperture priority mode till the date plus read some books around the subject. The practice and added control we well as some light reading should help give you more options and also give a bit more confidence for the day.

princesstaty7 said:
I shoot my pics in RAW, awesome quality as of exposure and colors, you KNOW how to use photoshop too, being a beginner don't leave you with many choices with lightning and studio set ups, makes sense? The more you learn about photography the better, know your camera, capture the moments you'll want the couple to see, get inspired, as emotional as the wedding could get (intimate with 10 people) focus on their emotions not yours k? Just some healthy advice. ;) don't feel nervous, enjoy it, that's whats all about.

Shooting raw has nothing to do with exposure.

princesstaty7 said:

Shooting raw has nothing to do with exposure.
True, but maybe it would allow a bit of scope for camera exposure error later to pull back some shots.

jaomul said:
True, but maybe it would allow a bit of scope for camera exposure error later to pull back some shots.

Yes but you never want to depend on editing to get your shot right :)

why not shoot with auto half the time and shoot in Av or M the other half? so you get the important shots and try out the custom modes so gain some confidence if those shots turn out well. and remember shoot in RAW just in case :thumbsup:

why not shoot with auto half the time and shoot in Av or M the other half? so you get the important shots and try out the custom modes so gain some confidence if those shots turn out well. and remember shoot in RAW just in case :thumbsup:

The odds of a good shoot will be about the same odds of the gambling tables at Vegas.... sure you may win a little or maybe break even but is that what we want and shoot for?

It's best you go shutter priority and make sure your photos aren't blurry due to camera shake, let the camera do the rest if you aren't confident and choose your ISO depending on the scene and the limit of your lens.

Or just shoot in shutter priority and set your ISO to auto (cringe).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back