Shooting in Manual.

ACRPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a new DSLR and I'm trying to learn manual. But everytime I shoot, my pictures are so dark! I was wondering if anyone could suggest some pairs of shutter speed and aperature for me to work with.

My room has generally low lighting so any tip would be wonderful!!

I'm so frustrated!!!

Get more light.

Use a higher ISO, larger aperture (smaller f number), longer shutter/ get a tripod.

Are you using the in camera meter? If you look into the eyepiece, you'll see a <-----------I-------------->

Of course it's more involved than this, but this is how I usually do it.

Daytime: Low iso:100-200, set my aperture to the DOF I want, then look into viewfinder and adjust shutter until it's in the center of the above graph or a little above/below (depending on what I want to pull off)

Indoors: lowest iso I can get away with, usually lower Aperture (more light in) and adjust shutter. Only issue with this is that sometimes the shutter will be too slow for hand held and a tripod could be used. Really, just play around with it and see what fits your situation better.

Read your manual and get the book "Understanding Exposure", and maybe "Digital SLR's and photography for Dummies." The latter will explain more fully what is in your camera manual in a light hearted, friendly, easy to understand manner.

I dont have the money for a tripod right now, so that is kinda out of the question for me sadly, I'd love to get one!

Also yes, I do use the meter inside but no matter how much I play around with it, I can't see a change the picture is just friggen dark!!

Here are some specs about my camera. btw

Iso goes from

100 - 3200

Shutter goes from Bulb to 4000

Ap

f/5 to f/22

When I use the camera meter I get a blinking flashing arrow to the left and I just can't get it to go anywhere!!!

Another vote for picking up a copy of "Understanding Exposure". Out of the thousands I've spent on gear that was my single best investment. What I learned in the first thirty pages was like an epiphany.

When I use the camera meter I get a blinking flashing arrow to the left and I just can't get it to go anywhere!!!

That's because your exposure is soooo far off the scale! You have to roll the wheel for you shutter speed the oposite direction till you get the indicator on the scale, then adjust things more to your liking. The meter only indicates +/_ 3 stops of exposure. If you are ten stops out....

Hi,

I'm new to driving a car and I'm having an issue with speed. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how hard to push the gas pedal? Also, does his vary based on ascending hills and descending hills?
My car has 160 HP and a 5 SPD auto slushbox.
Thanks!

OP: That situation up there parallels what you are asking. Go get Understanding Exposure and read up.

I dont have the money for a tripod right now, so that is kinda out of the question for me sadly, I'd love to get one!

Also yes, I do use the meter inside but no matter how much I play around with it, I can't see a change the picture is just friggen dark!!

Iso goes from

100 - 3200

Ap

f/5 to f/22

Then you obviously are not setting the exposure to let in enough light... Like I said, raise the ISO (if you were at 200, try 400 or 800), widen the aperture (try 5.6), or lengthen the shutter speed (go to 1/100 or 1/80 if 1/250 is too dark)

Iso goes from

100 - 3200

Ap

f/5 to f/22

RTFM

Iso goes from

100 - 3200

Ap

f/5 to f/22

Then you obviously are not setting the exposure to let in enough light... Like I said, raise the ISO (if you were at 200, try 400 or 800), widen the aperture (try 5.6), or lengthen the shutter speed (go to 1/100 or 1/80 if 1/250 is too dark)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! THIS HELPED ME LIKE YOU DONT BELIEVE!!!!!!! I learn way better by examples like this so thank you so much! I read my manual, and I just couldnt grasp it! but this helped me so much. <3 <3 <3 <3 I wish I knew you so I could make you cookiesssss :DDDDD

Based on your questions and comments I'd say you shouldn't be shooting in manual mode. Put your camera in full auto, walk around your environment, and take dozens of photos in different lighting conditions. Copy the pictures to your computer and study the EXIF data to see the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture that the camera selected for each image based on the lighting conditions. Then switch to either aperture or shutter priority mode and repeat. THEN move to manual mode. Manual is the most advanced mode to shoot in, and it appears that you're attempting to use it without even understanding the very basic elements of exposure.

Of course, you need to be reading some of the books that have been mentioned as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back