Shooting in the Snow

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So we got another foot or so of snow last night...so I took the Basset Hounds out for a very quick romp in the snow this morning.

I wanted to ask you guys about shooting in the snow. Yesterday at Nikon school the instructor was speaking to overexposure when shooting in the snow so that your subject wouldn't get lost in the shadows...and then in PP bringing the snow up in contrast to make it work.

Is this correct and can you give me some C & C on this photo? I'm finding it difficult (maybe my eyes are just bad) to discern what is the proper exposure in the snow.

DSC_3066.jpg

And yes, for those wondering, said Basset Hound is the suspect in the SB800 Speedlight debacle of last night - ;)

Thank you!

Image looks soft and under exposed to me. I havent been out with the camera in days maybe I will take the dogs out and see what I can get considering we just got some snow yesterday although not as much as you did lol.

First of all, you're from NH? Me too! Very cool :)

Also I think your instructor is right, your pic looks a little dark so if you play around a bit with the color curves it'll give it a brighter look

For myself, shooting in snow I overexpose at least one stop...sometimes two depending on how much of the frame is snow.

Ok, thanks everyone! I will go back into Lightroom and play with it some more - I thought it too was underexposed but like I said, I have a hard time with accuracy in the snow - plus my dog is a lemon and white hound which throws me off (color wise even more).

Amber - yes I'm from New Hampshire! How cool! I've meet some of the MA people on here, but no one from NH. Nice to meet you!

Thanks - they really need to come with warning labels though...I've been a Basset slave since 2000. You must have a great sense of humor! I will say they do make me laugh everyday.

And not to leave my boy dog out...here he is with his "sister" - he cannot stand his photo to be taken - the look on his face is absolutely "get me out of here, I hate my photo taken". I rarely can get good shots of him (he's the reason I have my telephoto because in order to shoot him, he can't know it...lol :lol:)

DSC_3072.jpg

My dog Kado is the same way, he refuses to look at me, drives me insane haha. But I'm with you, I was a afraid to edit pics that I took out in the snow last year, but they came out so much better after I did.

BTW what part of NH are you in? I'm up North, near the lakes

I am right outside of Manchester - but will be moving to Cambridge, MA in the next few months! I can't wait! I did my undergraduate work 100 years ago in Boston and always wanted to go back...now I am!

Cool! My mom lives right out of Manchester, I went to High School there. Good luck in Mass! I got family there too haha, Cambridge is a nice area

Most reactions

Back