Shooting in the subway?

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I have this long date project... I called it the Montreal Underground Project to make it sound cool, but it's basically just a huge subway ride. I decided to go and shoot each and every one of Montreal's 65 metro stations. (it's gonna take me months, probably. but i'll do it anyway cause i decided so.)
Ok, before i go off topic here, my precise question is: am I allowed to shoot in the subway?
There's been a lot of talking about this kind of problems in the past weeks, but it was mostly about people... I'm not going to shoot people, or at least it's not my primary goal. I'm aiming more at architecture and such.

I wanna start this as soon as possible (maybe next weekend?), so all replies and just " you go alex! 65 stations is not that much" are very very welcome.

(I just wanna remind that i'm not going to break anyone's privacy during all this since i'm not going to shoot people a lot. All I really want to know is if it's legal to take pics of the subway ;))

Hmmm. That's an interesting question. Some fellow architecture students were taking pictures of a building designed by IM Pei, which also happened to be the federal courthouse in Lincoln. They got in trouble, and those were just exterior shots. Hopefully people in Montreal aren't as scared as those in the midwest.

Alex, I suggest you do some research before you go. See if you can find any official information from the organization that runs the subway and if anyone in Montreal has had problems in the past. You might want to check out this site:

http://www.photopermit.org/

I'm not sure if it will have information for you, but its main focus is photographer's rights. I don't know if it is just living in the US, but I know that people have had problems shooting in subway and my first reaction to reading your post was that they would probably have more of a problem with you shooting the architecture then people. Scoping out future spots and all.

However I think if you are armed with what your rights are then you can stand your ground.

And I hope you can do it. Houston has just expanded to a light rail line a few years ago. It is only seven miles, but I have considered shooting each of the platforms. Each one is decorated in a different way and I think it would be an interesting project. I hope you can do it. Good luck.

I don't know in montreal, but in Madrid it's definately not forbidden. Maybe someone may complain beacuse of their privacy, but i doubt, as long as u don't just stare at someone with your camera between you and the subject for hours!:lol:
If I were you i'd ask at the ticket office. That's it.
Anyway, good luck! I'll be expecting them!

P.S. I'm gonna post one long exposure I took in the sub right now!!:mrgreen:

I just wen through the whole list of civic rules on the subway's site and there's nothing about photos... It apparently means it's not forbidden, but just to avoid ambiguities, i think i'll call the info service monday when they open.

thanks guys for the advices! :D

about a year ago i was in Miami,FL and i took tons of shot of their metro-rails. one thing i never thought of was if it was allowed:confused: . i dont know if i got lucky and never got caught or ppl just didnt care?

anyway, good luck! the project sounds gnarly and you should be able to pull it off :thumbup:

here in Melbourne the "subways" all have had "no camera" signs for as long as i can remember... which is at least 10 years... our above ground stations, of which there are easily the most of have no such signs so theoretically you are able to photograph them to your heart's content. However, a friend of mine was out taking photos of a fairly major outdoor station (I should mention we're only 15 or so...) and was asked to stop doing so, by police! I've taken photos at smaller stations, but i'm sure if there were police present they would've had something to say. I think we're all just tight after all the terrorism scares. I say if there's no photography signs you'll have to be careful, but if there are no signs at all and someone asks you not to take photos, they really haven't got a leg to stand on.
Good luck! 65 stations isn't THAT many/ :p

Alex this sounds like a really cool project. You made think that I had never heard what the final outcome was of the proposed ban of photography in the NYC Subway system. I remember at the time there was a huge outcry and it looks, near as I can see that it didn't get passed. I don't know if this links are of any use to you.

Some NYC Subway Photography Rules

NYC Subway Pictures

Disclaimer: I don't know if these 'Photographer Rights' are all accurate. I am printing one out to carry myself. Sometimes having something like this gives you a little bit of an edge. Sorry, Alex, I couldn't find one for Canada. :(

The Photographers Right.pdf

UK Photographers Rights.pdf

The NYC ban was stopped, according to what I heard. woot!

and thanks for the links, i'm sure they'll help :D

You can't shoot in toronto transportation at all. It's their by-law aparently.

Give them a call and explain what you're doing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back