Shooting is low and disgusting lighting

Box801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been shooting some photos in a hallway as an assignment and I'm using a Nikon D80 and an off camera flash. The problem is that I can get the right exposure on the subject but the background is never well lit. I try to raise my ISO, but it creates a grainy image that is unusable. I am shooting at F1.4 to get as much light in as possible but without the flash, the subject is dark anyway. Is there anyway to get some nicely lit photos or am I going to need a camera with better ISO performance?

Thanks

Post a shot with settings used w/ flash. And the flash settings as well if you can remember.

I'm no flash expert, but I believe that if your subject is well lit, but the background is to dark, slowing down your shutter speed should bring more light from the background, while keeping your subject with the same lighting. If subject is well lit, don't change your F-stop. Don't worry about the ISO.

Easy, rear curtain flash. Look it up on the net. That isalso how we get properly exposed sunsets (background) and foreground such as people who are not just silhouettes.

Last edited:
Tell your model not to move much, make the shutter really slow to like maybe 1/8 sec (or whatever you need to get a good expousre). The flash will freeze your subject while the slow shutter will bring in more ambient light and some to the subject. Try not to move your camera much.

Tell your model not to move much, make the shutter really slow to like maybe 1/8 sec (or whatever you need to get a good expousre). The flash will freeze your subject while the slow shutter will bring in more ambient light and some to the subject. Try not to move your camera much.

The people I'm taking photos of are not models, it more photo-journalistic/event photography.

You can always try bouncing the flash in such a way to diffuse it over the background and model.

I do bounce the flash off the ceiling, but the results are only good if they are standing in front of a wall.

If you want real, helpful advice you need to post examples of what you mean with the camera settings from the shot.

If your subject is a person, you'll have to find some way to light the hall. If your subject is not human (and not moving), you can use a tripod and a long exposure instead of your flash.

Or he can use a tripod and a long exposure, and then freeze the person with rear curtain sync flash....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back