Shooting models/products. White background. Lighting setup on a budget?

photogirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, so I am helping out at my uncle's business. He recently moved his B&M to online. He's letting go of his store, save for a small studio space for photos for his to-be-launched online store. He has a large room and would like to set up a studio so he could photograph clothes on a mannequin and model. He would like images to look like what I've attached. Though he and his team have a huge learning curve to encounter, do any of you have recommendations on lighting setups for him when he has a budget of $1000-1500 (not much, he realizes). This is his starter budget. As he earns more after launching, he'll be contributing more. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

$shopbop_alice_olivia_josefina_cutout_dress.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see a file attached...but this is what the real studio's do:

-White seamless in the background with two heads nuking 4x8 v-flats on opposite ends, bouncing that light back onto the paper.

-Large softbox, or better yet a 7-foot parabolic in a butterfly or rembrandt pattern as the key light, a smaller softbox or reflector below as a fill light.

-at least 10-15 feet between the subject and background to eliminate spill on either one.

-a computer workstation on a cart next to the camera, because you're shooting tethered to make sure the images fit your layouts.

-a macbeth.

SO. You need at least three heads, a computer, a camera that can shoot tethered into Capture One or Lightroom, a solid tripod, and a macbeth or x-rite passport to make sure your color doesn't suck.

Once you get those dialed, than your stylists can do their job. Super simple stuff.

-White seamless in the background with two heads nuking 4x8 v-flats on opposite ends, bouncing that light back onto the paper.

-Large softbox, or better yet a 7-foot parabolic in a butterfly or rembrandt pattern as the key light, a smaller softbox or reflector below as a fill light.

-at least 10-15 feet between the subject and background to eliminate spill on either one.

-a computer workstation on a cart next to the camera, because you're shooting tethered to make sure the images fit your layouts.

-a macbeth.

SO. You need at least three heads, a computer, a camera that can shoot tethered into Capture One or Lightroom, a solid tripod, and a macbeth or x-rite passport to make sure your color doesn't suck.

Once you get those dialed, than your stylists can do their job. Super simple stuff.

The real studios I have been fortunate to use have a white permanent wooden background wall and floor that curve up and roll the light where they meet. Optional is the hardware to hang different color papers, screens for gels, musolines etc

Instead of a computer and cart, the studios I use have large permanent monitors mounted on the wall so everyone can clearly review in real time.

OK just ribbin' you , the stuff I used is no more real that the stuff you described, I just wanted to throw a few options out
bigthumb.gif

The thing about the Flashpoint 320M monolights is that they are $99 EACH!!!!!! They are a "commodity". Ninety-nine bucks!!!! Each! Get one as a spare. Adorama's Flashpoint monolight kits, with the light unit, its reflector, and a light stand and an umbrella or softbox--all for apprx. $159 per setup....MAN, that's a deal!!!! How good of a deal is this you ask? Well, my mid-level Speedotron flash units have flash tubes that cost over $99 each....just for the TUBES!!!! The Flashpoint 320M is ninety-nine bucks for the whole light unit, modeling lamp, and flash tube. Did I mention they are ninety-nine dollars and come with free shipping?

The thing about the Flashpoint 320M monolights is that they are $99 EACH!!!!!! They are a "commodity". Ninety-nine bucks!!!! Each! Get one as a spare. Adorama's Flashpoint monolight kits, with the light unit, its reflector, and a light stand and an umbrella or softbox--all for apprx. $159 per setup....MAN, that's a deal!!!! How good of a deal is this you ask? Well, my mid-level Speedotron flash units have flash tubes that cost over $99 each....just for the TUBES!!!! The Flashpoint 320M is ninety-nine bucks for the whole light unit, modeling lamp, and flash tube. Did I mention they are ninety-nine dollars and come with free shipping?
It's probably a good thing Billy Ray Mays is deceased, though I think you may be channeling him...

AND the flash tubes in the flashpoint units are changeable. When you blow one you can replace it for $30 and FREE SHIPPING!

It's probably a good thing Billy Ray Mays is deceased, though I think you may be channeling him...

AND the flash tubes in the flashpoint units are changeable. When you blow one you can replace it for $30 and FREE SHIPPING!

Around a year and a half ago, my then 8 year-old son saw Billy Ray Mays on a commercial, a few days after he had died, and he screamed, "Dad! Dad! Dad! It's The Yelling Guy--he's on TV and HE'S ALIVE!!!! What happened?"

True story. Kind of endearing how little kids think everything they see on TV is "real".

-a macbeth.

The real studios I have been fortunate to use have a white permanent wooden background wall and floor that curve up and roll the light where they meet. Optional is the hardware to hang different color papers, screens for gels, musolines etc

Instead of a computer and cart, the studios I use have large permanent monitors mounted on the wall so everyone can clearly review in real time.

OK just ribbin' you , the stuff I used is no more real that the stuff you described, I just wanted to throw a few options out
bigthumb.gif

This is true, I worked in a studio that had a Cyc, but that's because they were shooting semi trucks in it! [h=3][/h]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back