Diffusers, what do you use

JSER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Doing a wedding in November, no probs, but I have been wondering what diffusers others use for portraits when outside or inside.

I use Lumiquest pocket bouncers outdoors and Stofen indoors.

Do you use anything different and why.

Outdoors? On a speedlight, a diffuser is mostly a waste of flash output...it gains you basically...nothing!!! (And I mean that seriously.) Indoors, the Sto-Fen Omni Bounce at times, or the Nikon-supplied diffuser cap, the Sto-Fen clone, that came with the SB-800, usually with the flash aimed upward at the 60 Degree tilt position, sort of a half bounce/half directed forward through the diffuser kind of deal but ONLY on shots under 15 feet!!! Indoors, for the most part, I prefer bouncing the flash off the ceiling, a corner of the room, or a wall.

Outdoors, for close-in stuff, my new toy is the Westcott 43-inch silvered umbrella, with the double-telescoping handle. It folds down to only 15 inches in overall length, and it VERY efficient.Westcott 43 inch Soft Silver Collapsible Umbrella 2002

However, outdoors, again, a diffuser is often not all that needed when the flash is being used for FILL-IN lighting, so...a bare, undiffused flash, Vivitar 285HV with Quantum Battery 1, or SB-800, or Speedotron light head firing at 100 to 200 Watt-seconds is what makes the most sense for me.

Thanks

I know I said diffusers but as you know the Lumiquest pocket bouncer is not a diffuser so I use that outdoors.

I would find using a brolly at weddings combersome.

Of course Stofen indoors (why the twits of the press use the outdoors and diract amazes me)

Thanks again

Oh, darn interesting though, would you chose a brolly like that all the time or ever use a shoot through

Something like THIS work wonderfully.

Put it between your subject and the sun, or between your flash and subject. Does require an assistant (or two, when it's windy).

for indoors, shoot through umbrellas and softboxes

Oh, darn interesting though, would you chose a brolly like that all the time or ever use a shoot through

yes, the Lumiquest products are actually pretty good when used in appropriate situations,and I have seen some FINE results from them. I too laugh when I see the paps, shooting long-distance flash with their diffusers on.

I have used shoot-throughs before. I prefer reflecting umbrellas though, since they are more efficient, and it's easier to control where their scattered light goes. SOMETIMES, indoors especially though, a shoot-through can be used to 1)create a main light with some direction AND also 2) scatter light 'from behind', and thus "lift the ambient up"...like firing 400 to 600 W-S through one shoot through that is aimed toward the shooting area AND which also sends 40% or so of the light backwards, away from the direction of the shoot-thru, and thus "elevates ambient" by means of scattered light off of the walls/ceiling. This is one easy way to light up a BIG area, using only one flash head and one umbrella. In really SMALL, and or low-ceilinged areas, one shoot-thru set up this way can provide directional main light AND fill light, via that ambient spill, as many people call it.

Big Mike's idea of a 42x78 inch reflector....a resounding YES!!!...that is "the size" to go with...it is what I call "a real reflector". Works a treat!

Yes I can agree with that but at weddings you are walking about on you feet lighting stands and soft boxes are fixed

I will dispute Derrel's assertion about the out-door use of diffusers on speedlights being a waste of time. As long as you fully understand how to balance exposure and can work with the amount of light-loss your diffuser will cause, you can do good things. I'm a big fan of Lastolite products, especially for speedlights, and their Exybox line is amazing. I also use a wide range of reflectors and diffuser panels, including one similar to that linked to by Mike. My favorite modifier however is my big brolly-box.

Softboxes, Umbrellas (reflective and shoot thru), lightsphere, strip boxes, grid, barn door, gels, I have some lumiquest pop up diffuser things that I use on my speedlites sometimes with a little duct tape, I've got a stofen or two floating about here, lightsphere collapsible. I really like the lumiquest 80/20. I have a bunch of strobies stuff... A bunch of DIY'd stuff that is pretty damn awesome...
Most often? Softbox or the lightsphere or the screen thingys with duct tape. The ceiling or wall as long as it's white!
Yep, I carry a full setup of stands and softboxes. I love the gorilla pods (adorama has a knock off that is awesome, but cheaper!) to stick speedlites on and clamp them just about anywhere. Then I'll use the lightsphere or screen or strobies stuff.

I will dispute Derrel's assertion about the out-door use of diffusers on speedlights being a waste of time. As long as you fully understand how to balance exposure and can work with the amount of light-loss your diffuser will cause, you can do good things. I'm a big fan of Lastolite products, especially for speedlights, and their Exybox line is amazing. I also use a wide range of reflectors and diffuser panels, including one similar to that linked to by Mike. My favorite modifier however is my big brolly-box.

Water balloons at 20 paces!!! Dawn, tomorrow!

Water balloons at 20 paces!!! Dawn, tomorrow!
Screw tomorrow! Behind the bike-rack at recess, today!

I have a 72" 5 in 1 that gets a good bit of use. The inner portion is a diffuser.

When outdoors I use a black side when in the sun for subtracting light to give shadow contrast. When in shade I'll use either the white or silver to bounce sunlight into the shade for a key. Weddings are great in that you can always find a willing vict- ahem, assistant to hold the thing.

I'd also like to differ on using speedlights with them. If you use off camera flash you can you can have somebody hold the diffuser just out side of the field of view and the speedlight with the other hand pointing at the subject through the diffuser and get a nice soft light. If you're working alone then you can bounce the speedlight off the reflective portion back onto the subject and get much the same results with one light stand, reflector holder and a ball bungee.

Yes I can agree with that but at weddings you are walking about on you feet lighting stands and soft boxes are fixed
Light stands and soft boxes are fixed? Tell that to my sore hand, arms & feet. :lol: I often second shoot/assist other (very good) wedding photographers and half the job is lugging that stuff around and holding it in position for the shot.

If you look at what 'most' of the 'good' wedding photographers are doing these days...few of them work alone anymore. It's usually a team of two people, sometimes more for the really expensive ones. This allows you to have more gear and to get that gear where you need it. The best light stand is a VALS (voice activated light stand). http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H4khOXnJE4Q/UEyQgaKCWKI/AAAAAAAAKwI/yjeHohyuDC4/s1600/rick+sammon+4.jpg

When I'm shooting alone, I'll often recruit someone at the wedding to help me out. Boyfriends of bridesmaids are great because they usually have nothing else to do but don't have to be in any of the photos.

No, they're not. And yep, we really do use them for weddings. Like I said, I like the little gorilla pods which sure make it easier than a light stand, but I really do cart light stands and real, full size strobes.

Most reactions

Back