shooting photos when out with friends

molsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to take my DSLR out tonight to the hookah bar/dinner to shoot some photos while out with my friends. I want to get pics of my friends but also maybe some neat hookah smoke shots and just some general around-the-town shots.

Has anyone done this? Is this awkward? What's the best way to go about doing this? Is it weird showing up to smoke a hookah with a camera bag? Do you have to deal with the restaurant first to make sure it's okay? ADVICE PLEASE!

I hate bringing a lot of attention to myself and I'm worried I'm asking for it if I bring a DSLR out with me....

P.S. I'm not going to any crowded bars or anywhere the camera would be likely to get damaged

i dunno about weird, but out with your friends it might be a lot more convient for a little point and shoot camera if you have one

My friends call me "The Paparazzi". My camera goes everywhere and NOBODY is off limits! Go for it... have fun.

All my friends met me over the years with a camera hanging around my shoulder... they've seen my collection... they've seen how much I love photography... If I went without a camera, they probably would think something was wrong.

I shoot away until they make me stop....

I brought my d80 to a birthday dinner for my older sister, who cares if you look stupid taking pics of everything, your family will appreciate the memories the pics can hold. :)

However it was bothersome to my family when I took flash inside the restaraunt (lol) so I just upped to 1600 ISO and hoped for the best. They aren't award winning, but they still came out clear enough.

yea, i'm going to avoid flash tonight. i'll mostly be using my 50m f/1.8 so hopefully it'll all workout. besides, some blur with the smoke might be a good thing.

I'm not as interested in shooting people as I am getting some neat smoke/hookah shots.....artsy/abstract type of stuff.

thanks for the advice/stories/encouragement. i'm gonna do it!

I do it all the time. I rarely use flash and never really get any weird looks or anything. IF your dslr is the D50 in your sig, then i'm sure it's small enough not to draw too much attention.

Through a big lens one it and take it with you. You'll be amazed at now many random strangers talk to you. Photographers really do get the chicks I assure you!

well it worked out pretty well tonight. there weren't too many shots to be had because of the close quarters we were in (50mm lens doesn't exactly allow for the widest shots) but I got some neat hookah-smoking shots, coals, reflections, etc.

I'll get them uploaded and post some here tomorrow

Well I missed the thread before you went out, but my advice remains the same: balls out my friend.

^^^for real, lol.

I carry my camera with me everywhere.

Your friends should have a good time with you having it too.

Look forward to your pics.

well it worked out pretty well tonight. there weren't too many shots to be had because of the close quarters we were in (50mm lens doesn't exactly allow for the widest shots) but I got some neat hookah-smoking shots, coals, reflections, etc.

I'll get them uploaded and post some here tomorrow

Yeah, that 50mm on the cropped sensor isn't so good for situations like that. I usually take my 24mm if i've got my d70, or i'll take one of my film cameras.

my camera is like my credit card - I don;t leave home without either.

For indoor flash use to keep the flash burn down [nobody like to get flashed in dark places] just turn your flash around and bounce it backwards or straight up. Bump the settings on the flash up to whatever it needs to be depending on how tall the ceiling is etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back