Shooting surfing with my new / used 7d mark ii ?

Most 150-600s are light enough to hand hold, though a little stabilisation can make things a bit easyier

I would put a monopod on mine, mainly for when i WASNT shooting, to carry the weight. But when I was shooting I'd hand hold it for sure. Unless youre using a gimbal head, i dont see a tripod or a monopod helping, as your axis is now locked.

this was hand-held panning with the old Tamron -- which is very inferior to the current models.

GTLM Porsche North America No. 912
by Braineack, on Flickr

I have a monopod, but I'm not use to it. When I shot basketball I'd handhold it in portrait orientation. Was able to get some really good shots in low light with my T2i, but... a lot of noise:( I've been using the monopod on the surfing shots, but it's not comfortable for me yet. Letting the camera just hang off my fingers in portrait was always comfortable for me. I pretty much just shoot one handed sometimes. Holding a bigger lens in a landscape position is really new to me. With the monopod, all the camera weight is gone. So panning feels twitchy (loose) and I find myself leaning forward and back to compensate for the vertical. Surfing is not a linear sport. It's like following a fly sometimes. I'll try some hots without the monopod and play with the AF settings.
Here's one of my old basketball photo's taken with the T2i and the Sigma 17 - 50 mm 2.8 This gym had just installed LED lights. So much nicer shooting in gyms these days. TD-BB-2015.JPG

I shot these hand held with the G9 which has around 6 stops of image stabilization. I found it easier to move around the beach and follow the surfers on the waves.
FB_IMG_1578564376580.jpg
FB_IMG_1578564368745.jpg
FB_IMG_1578564363087.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

With a lens as long as a 100 to 400 or a 150 to 600, image stabilization is really a godsend. Yes with a monopod it takes some practice, and you have to tip yourself back or forward sometimes. I do not like to use a monopod with any type of head. the one time I did try it I was using a Cullman ball head from the 1980s and I got a severe blood blister/finger pinch. I have successfully used a Nikon 400 mm f 3.5 which weighed about 7 lb and a Nikon 300 2.8 and a Nikon 200 f/2. All three of these lenses weigh in at around 7 lb, and I have quite successfully used them with a monopod with no head. just screw the monopod directly into the tripod collar of the lens.

Even with an aps-c camera like the 7D-II, I think a 150 to 600 would be a better option for surfing shots than a 100 to 400. It's just simply longer.

Last edited:
I got a chance to practice a little more. Hand held, sun rising from the left side. I think I got the AF points worked out. Shooting at f8, 1/3200 and auto ISO.
MM-AF-points 498.JPG
MM-AF-points sample 1.JPG
MM-AF-points 509.JPG
MM-AF-points sample 2.JPG

I guess you may be limited by the reach of your lens but as @Braineack mentioned try and fill the frame as much as possible with one surfer. Here is one I took a while ago to illustrate that. From memory I cropped this one a bit as well.
received_1000354926804127.jpg

I'll try to get in closer, which means I have to try harder to track my subject..... I was only at 250 mm. I could have got closer. It was a higher tide which breaks closer to shore. That's when the foilers show up. If the tides to low, they risk slamming their $1,500. foils into the reef.

Sorry I meant to mention on my previous post that the exception to this would be if you had a surfer/s on a 20 or 30 ft wave where you want to juxtapose the size of the wave to the size of the surfer/s.

20 TO 30' ! I'd put put my camera away and paddle out! NOT! :) On waves that size I'm sure I'd need a lens with a lot more reach.

With a lens as long as a 100 to 400 or a 150 to 600, image stabilization is really a godsend. Yes with a monopod it takes some practice, and you have to tip yourself back or forward sometimes. I do not like to use a monopod with any type of head. the one time I did try it I was using a Cullman ball head from the 1980s and I got a severe blood blister/finger pinch. I have successfully used a Nikon 400 mm f 3.5 which weighed about 7 lb and a Nikon 300 2.8 and a Nikon 200 f/2. All three of these lenses weigh in at around 7 lb, and I have quite successfully used them with a monopod with no head. just screw the monopod directly into the tripod collar of the lens.

This is how I use my monopod, you certainly don't need a ball-head to pan with it.

Most reactions

Back