Shooting the banal.

darry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I've recently picked up photography again after a 6 year hiatus a few months ago. I started out doing street photography, but shortly after realized the stress of potentially fighting with people on the street for unwanted photographs was too much. I sat down and thought about what draws me to different photos and what kind-of photos I wanted to shoot. I saw the work of Stephen Shore and William Eggleston and realized I wanted to shoot "boring" photographs. I was drawn to the everyday and the obvious and wanted to take photographs of things that were everyday, but still interesting. I wanted to put my own "stamp" on it and not directly copy Shore or Eggleston exactly.

The thing is, I feel so self conscious about my work and don't know if I'm doing anything worth while. I need help and want to know if my photos are interesting or just snap-shot crap. I'm going to post 3 photos and I'll add what I like about them and what I was thinking when shooting them.

"door"
40635233044_ed858dacb5_c.jpg
door by

I like this photo because of the angles, the colors and the vibrancy of the room. I like the contrast of the white door and the green ceiling and yellow walls.

"bed"
Bed by

I like the shapes and the folds in the sheets and blankets. I think it creates patterns that draw the eye.

"Wet".
Wet by

I like that the towel isn't center in the frame and the pink is a contrast to the wooded area around it.

I'm not saying my work is "good". I'm just saying why I like the photos. Any help on how to improve would be greatly appreciated!

-Darrin

Hey Darrin,

I'm liking #1! Very nice! I like the angles and colors. Kinda wishing the bottom of the door wasn't cut off, but it adds some tension to the photo.

The other two are lacking a defined (and interesting) subject, in my opinion. The third one is somewhat interesting, though!

There is a photo theme going on here, if you're interested in seeing what others post. Also, feel free to join in and add your own!

Photographing the Banal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back