Shooting under flood lights...dogs

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bit of an odd question...im getting a new lens, big zoom. Im thinking of oing to the greyhound racing...not sure if that is a sport in the USA?? Anyhow mostly it takes place in the evening and at this time of year in the UK its dark, so strong floodlights light the track and animals from above. Is there any special considerations for such conditions bearing in mind the dog are fast so either panning or fast shutterwill be needed freeze the hounds!!!!

I think that will be very hard to shoot...unless you get lucky and the lights are very bright.

Even with a fast lens (F2.8 or better) and ISO 1600...you may still have a hard time getting sharp shots of dogs in motion. Panning may work because you don't necessarily need fast shutter speeds for that but that might require some part of the dogs to be vertically steady as they run.

well he lens im getting is only 4.5 so i guess id be wasting my time?

well he lens im getting is only 4.5 so i guess id be wasting my time?
Maybe...but you won't know until you try.

Bump up the ISO and pan. Take lots of shots and I bet you'll get a lucky few that are usable.

i tend to shot in iso 200 most the time, is that very wrong? i dont see much difference when i change iso setings. however even when i se my iso to 200 it sometimes reads difrent on the exif data

I'm guessing it depends on the track. Some tracks are VERY bright.

Greyhound racing on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For example seems to be very successfull yet is taken at 400iso, all be it with F2 aperture.

BUT I'm sure 1/500 would have been quick enough with a corresponding widening of aperture and perhaps 800ISO.

is iso just to do with the amount of light, ie lower light higer iso

is iso just to do with the amount of light, ie lower light higer iso

ISO is the senor's, or film's, sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO the more sensitive the sensor is. However as the ISO is raised, the image tends to become noisier, so try to shoot with the lowest ISO possible.

Most reactions

Back