Shooting up Close, Having Issues.

H

HarajukuGirl92

Hi

I'm new to DSLR photography and I have no clue what I'm doing. I use auto and don't really know how to use anything else.

Every time I try and take an up close photos the image will not focus and the lens keeps zooming in and out and I can't take the photo. Do you know what i'm doing wrong? I sure don't.

I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel T3i with EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II Lens.

To all you experts you must think I'm an idiot.

I think that lens has a minimum focus distance of about a foot or so. How close are you to the subject?

Turn off the autofocus and focus manually. The lens is 'hunting' for something in focus, and you may just be too close for it to focus.

MFD in the 2008 era Canon 18-55 lens was 0.25 meter....so, nothing closer than that...

Oh okay. I've been trying to take up close pictures of small jewelry things like beads and charms. What kind of lens would you recommend for that?

Oh okay. I've been trying to take up close pictures of small jewelry things like beads and charms. What kind of lens would you recommend for that?

Either a dedicated macro lens (expensive way) or an extension tube for the lens you have (less expensive way).

For SMALL things like beads and charms, I would say a 90mm macro, or a 100mm macro would be useful. You could also try "freelensing", by removing then 18-55 from the camera, and holding it reversed, on the mounting area, and shooting that way. I am not kidding.

There are also lens reversing rings, which have a Canon EF mount on one side, and a filter thread on the other side, that allow lens reversing, with a very secure mounting.

Fotodiox web site in the USA sells these reversing rings.

Or just buy BIG jewelry....... :lmao:

Special note to Harajukugirl92 (and everyone else) -

Do =NOT= waste your money buying a cheap screw-on 'macro lens' adapter ($20-$50). They will only make poor quality images. Been there, done that, and threw it in the trash 5 minutes later!

As mentioned above, purchase one or more 'extension tubes' that are Canon EF compatible and mount between the camera and lens. They allow close-in focusing. They are nothing but hollow tubes (no glass) with appropriate contacts. By moving the lens further away from the camera, the image is expanded due the diverging light rays coming out the back of the lens. You'll likely have to turn off the Auto Focus (AF) feature on the lens as well.

You could buy a used macro lens for 200-300 bucks. Or get more serious and save your pennies and get something nice like a 100mm macro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back