Shooting with both Raw/Jpeg questions?

rprimeau95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rlp-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to shooting Raw, I did so last week and didn't like that I couldn't easily see the photo in my computer and had to click on it to open it in order to view it to do editing. Plus there was a lot of noise I had to edit why is that?

I then went for shooting in both RAW/JPEG this way I can see it however still a lot of noise to deal with is this normal?

I am used to shooting jpeg and never see this kind of noise in my pictures.

I am not sure what settings to set my camera for the studio shooting Raw???

I tried everyone on the dial what is more bothersome is my internal flash on my rebel will NOT pop up on its own when in Raw mode only when I switch the dial back to the head icon on my dial which switches it to jpeg when you do that then the flash will pop up every time. If I do this switch to jpeg then let the flash pop up and switch back to Raw modes the flash will work and fire thus triggering all the lighting in the studio anyone know why it is doing this?

I tried everyone on the dial what is more bothersome is my internal flash on my rebel will NOT pop up on its own when in Raw mode only when I switch the dial back to the head icon on my dial which switches it to jpeg when you do that then the flash will pop up every time. If I do this switch to jpeg then let the flash pop up and switch back to Raw modes the flash will work and fire thus triggering all the lighting in the studio anyone know why it is doing this?

The flash will only self pop-up in the full auto modes. When using the manual modes you need to pop it up yourself and it will fire. As far as your noise problem check what ISO your using for the shots. Other than that Im really not sure why you would get more noise. Some one else might be better at answering the noise question.

I am new to shooting Raw, I did so last week and didn't like that I couldn't easily see the photo in my computer and had to click on it to open it in order to view it to do editing. Plus there was a lot of noise I had to edit why is that?

I then went for shooting in both RAW/JPEG this way I can see it however still a lot of noise to deal with is this normal?

I am used to shooting jpeg and never see this kind of noise in my pictures.

I am not sure what settings to set my camera for the studio shooting Raw???

There is a button there which helps you to manually pop- the flash when you need. Study more carefully the manual of the camera :)

I had the same problem the first time i had an DSLR =))

RAW is a good way to shoot because you have more maneuverability on the end result :)

About the noise, well check the ISO settings :)

Good luck..

About the noise:

Of course make sure you are using a low ISO but I think you probably are since your JPEGS according to you don't have as much noise.

The thing is when shooting JPEGS the camera does a lot of processing on its own including noise reduction. Depending on the Cmera MFG (and I'm not familiar with Canons) when shooting RAW the camera does much less if any processing to the photos. Think of it as Negative from the film days. So again depending on the MFG noise reduction is reduced or even turned off while shooting RAW. You might have the option of turning it on or increasing it. Check your manual.

About not being able to see your photo on the computer:

Do you mean you are not getting a thumbnail at all ? If not you probably don't have the correct codec installed on your computer to view the specific type of RAW files. Raw files are MFG dependent. Go tou your Camera MFG website and download and install the codec. You should be able to view thumbnails at that point.

To see RAW (Canon), you need to have Canon's DPP software - I think that's the name.

You can not see it from you desktop because desktops can not read RAW format.

My understanding is that RAW is exactly that ... raw, untouched by camera algorithms.

To see RAW (Canon), you need to have Canon's DPP software - I think that's the name.

You can not see it from you desktop because desktops can not read RAW format.

My understanding is that RAW is exactly that ... raw, untouched by camera algorithms.

Or any other software designed to view RAW: Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop, etc. ;)

Like I said before I'm not familiar with Canon but You should be able to go to Canon's website and there should be a codec to download and install to be able to view directly from desktop without the use of specific program. Every manufacturer has a Raw codec for desktop viewing.

Edit:
Here's the link for Canon RAW Codec:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=15206

Just chose your operating system from there download &install and you will see your photos directly from folders with no additional software

I use FastStone Image viewer. It's nice because all the menus pop up and down depending on where your mouse is so you can view full screen but not lose menus. Its free and a good way to pick out all the bad photos before going on to further editing.

Hmm wonder why I haven't received my messages about this post.

I have looked for the button to pop up the flash manually and haven't found it and haven't seen it in manual.

My ISO settings was set to 1600 you say to set it low how low? 100, 200 ??

I will be doing another test shoot this week and will try the lower ISO speeds. Anyone know a good site that talks about the ISO settings using RAW?

I have Canon Zoom Box Browser it opens the Raw pic it is just the thumb nails don't show the image so when you are in your folders you really don't know what picture you are about to open is what I meant. Now if I shoot RAW/JPEG I can see the image.

There is a button there which helps you to manually pop- the flash when you need. Study more carefully the manual of the camera :)

I had the same problem the first time i had an DSLR =))

RAW is a good way to shoot because you have more maneuverability on the end result :)

About the noise, well check the ISO settings :)

Good luck..

My ISO settings was set to 1600 you say to set it low how low? 100, 200 ??

This is your main problem, 1600 is quite high and will certainly give you more noise.
I will be doing another test shoot this week and will try the lower ISO speeds. Anyone know a good site that talks about the ISO settings using RAW?

The problem here isn't using RAW, its learning how to use ISO.
ISO is always the last thing I change when i don't have enough light. So you change your shutter speed to the fastest for the given situation, or the aperture for the DOF.... THEN if you still dont have enough light you increase the ISO.
It is often best to keep the ISO as low as possible at all times. So if it's lowest is ISO 100, then in daylight this is what you should be shooting.

This is your main problem, 1600 is quite high and will certainly give you more noise.

The problem here isn't using RAW, its learning how to use ISO.
ISO is always the last thing I change when i don't have enough light. So you change your shutter speed to the fastest for the given situation, or the aperture for the DOF.... THEN if you still dont have enough light you increase the ISO.
It is often best to keep the ISO as low as possible at all times. So if it's lowest is ISO 100, then in daylight this is what you should be shooting.

ahhh I see well live and learn. So when yous say in daylight indoors with lights on would be considered daylight is that what you mean? I will try this out when I go back and see if that changes things I am sure it will. thanks so much for clarifying

I mean, outside in daylight you shouldn't need to bump up the ISO at all, indoors it depends how much ambient light is in the room....
If say you are taking a shot of a small child who is running around the room and you find the shutter is still going to slow to properly freeze the action, then you may want to put the ISO up.
This will increase the sensors sensitivity to light, therefor allowing you to increase the shutter speed and freeze the action. The down side, as we have mentioned, is that increasing the ISO also adds a bit of noise, but this is often preferable to having a blurry shot.

OK look on this picture to the upper left of the EOS label and up a bit on the next groove before the AF/MF button is a small button with what looks like a lightening strike on it..
That is your flash pop up button..
http://static.flickr.com/56/152386455_3fddcf95cf.jpg

1600 on the XT is very noisy I would try not to go over 600 in the beginning personally.
The thumbnails in your Zoom Browser you should beable to double click on them to see the whole picture and then scroll along from there.

Good Luck :)

Outdoors in daylight I shoot with 100-200..
Indoors 200-800

Most reactions

New Topics

Back