Shooting with tether

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering doing some shooting tethered. Sometimes I will think I have the shot only to find it be just a bit off. Other times I will see things when I upload to my computer that I did not see in the back screen.

I have been doing some reading about USB 3.0 cables and have just wound up more confused. There are "normal" cables, active cables and powered cables. In theory I understand how each work and for office set ups it makes sense, but for photography they do not.

From what I have read, if you go over 15' you really need some sort of active or powered cable. If I am reading right, the active cable uses the power from your device (camera) and/or your computer to power it. This may or may not be a stable connection. The next option is for a powered cable, which uses external power to make it work.

Most of the powered cables I can find have the power input on the device end like this image, but that would really take the mobility out of using the camera.
USB-Extension-Cable-5m-Leadzoe-Male-to-Female-USB-3-0-Data-Cable-Signal-Amplifier-USB3.jpg_640x640.jpg

I am not looking for a particularly long cable, but 15' seems to be just long enough to give you reach, but just short enough to risk pulling over a laptop or similar. I am thinking something in the 25-30' range would be nice. It would give you 15-20' of movement and 5-10' of safety.

Do they make cords that power off the computer end?
Does anyone here tether and what do you think about it?

I've tethered the K1 a couple of times, the cable is not powered and it's fairly long but I don't think it's 15'. Just my two cents worth, but being on the clumsy side I don't do well with cables on the floor. When I tether, the camera is usually on a tripod and the computer is on a table nearby.

Have you looked here ? > Tether Tools

I was so, so careful and still tripped over the cable from my tripod/camera to computer on a table, sigh... $125 repair bill, double sigh..

I now shoot with a camera stand with the laptop attached :)

Close up..

Laptopn front on stand.jpg

On site set up...

New camera stand.jpg

Cheers, Don

was so, so careful and still tripped over the cable from my tripod/camera to computer on a table, s

Thanks for sharing, glad to know clumsiness is not an isolated occurrence. :ambivalence: Super nice set up you have. Is everything shot on tripod? What do you do when/if you have to move around?

I would second looking into, calling the people at Tether Tools they or if not the leader in tethering camera equipment.

I also agree that Tether tools make excellent cables.

As for the powered cable? If you use a quality cable you can easily get 20' without having to add a line amplifier. Never buy an all in one amp and cable. They're multitasking and doing a poor job of both tasks. Get a good cable. If you find a significant signal loss then get an amplifier.

was so, so careful and still tripped over the cable from my tripod/camera to computer on a table, s

Thanks for sharing, glad to know clumsiness is not an isolated occurrence. :ambivalence: Super nice set up you have. Is everything shot on tripod? What do you do when/if you have to move around?

For the odd time I can't get into position with the rolling stands, the D800 cable and a short extension give me about 5' of movement. I've rarely had to disconnect/go freehand to get the shot (for what I shoot).

Cheers, Don

For the odd time I can't get into position with the rolling stands, the D800 cable and a short extension give me about 5' of movement.

I got suckered into buying the Flu Card for the K3ii. Didn't find out till after I hooked it up that it only transfers JPEG. The K1Mii has built in WIFI that I haven't tried yet but I can't find confirmation it only transfers JPEG. Any experience with the Case Air wireless on Tether tools?

For the odd time I can't get into position with the rolling stands, the D800 cable and a short extension give me about 5' of movement.

I got suckered into buying the Flu Card for the K3ii. Didn't find out till after I hooked it up that it only transfers JPEG. The K1Mii has built in WIFI that I haven't tried yet but I can't find confirmation it only transfers JPEG. Any experience with the Case Air wireless on Tether tools?

No, when I was looking into wireless it was either expensive or only transferred jpegs..

Cheers, Don

I have seen Tether Tools and I do have one of their 15' cables sitting on my porch at home and I don't get home until tomorrow. However, I try to get my information from more then one source. I was just curious about others experiences. I also found this cable, Icron Spectra 3001-15 - USB 3.0 Active Copper Extension Cable (50 ft) but I do not need 50' and is more expensive the then TT cables, but it is powered at the "computer" side and does not have 2-3 extra connections to get length.....

I looked briefly at the Case Air, but the speed is not there. I briefly looked at the Nikon WT-7, but I am not sure where to start on what a disaster that is from price to form.....

Most reactions

Back