Obviously the original is a good exposure and that goes a long way towards being able to do things with it.
But I disagree that the processing is "bad" per se. It may not be the best* it could be, and it may not be to everyone's taste**, but consider the before and after images as you would if you saw them on someone's mantle.
In the before, I see man w/ a glass of water sitting on a porch. The lighting is middling, neither hard nor soft, neither sun nor shade, doesn't look intentional in any way whatsoever, and doesn't really create a strong statement. The original image, I'd see it, think nice picture and move on.
In the after (before I saw the before) I see a man w/ a glass of whiskey or scotch, sitting i cnt tell where, but maybe tropical or in a safari location. The light pulls him out of the backgound like he's the chosen one, at least for that moment. The processed image, I'd see it, and stop and look at it, wondering about all those untold, yet suggested details.
I'd want the Paul Harvey on the processed image. But the original one, I likely wouldn't even expect there is a rest of the story.
** You can always go back and work on it some more based on the suggestions you get.
* As an artist, I find I'm most successful when I can create sharply divided, but strong, reactions to my work. I'd rather have 3 people love something and 9 people hate it, than have 12 people glance at it and keep moving with no reaction at all. Some of the things I do are only intended to connect with the 25% (or whatever) of people who "get it".
I find it helps to remind myself of this whenever I let someone review my work. And then for the ones they hate, I try to figure out whether there is something I can learn from what they are saying that would improve my next work (ie Mully saying less red and process less in general), or whether the image just wasn't intended for them in the first place.
If 9 people hate it, and 3 love it, I want to know why. If the why is consistent with my vision, then I'm fine with that. If the Why is inconsistent w/ my vision, then I have to go (hopefully learn something) and try again.