Shots from a plane

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
thought I'd try a couple of shots before we landed (in San Francisco) this time around - C&C always appreciated

Thanks,

Leeko

www.alkureishi.com

Shooting Data:
Pic 1: Nikon D70, 18-70mm @ 18mm, f/4.8, 1/3000sec, ISO 200 (Over Greenland)
Pic 2: Nikon D70, 18-70mm @ 18mm, f/9.5, 1/500sec, ISO 200 (Over Canada - I think)

448187fa0e0d91e2.jpg

4481885e0ec3c2db.jpg

It's a Boeing 747, flying London --> Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic :)

I believe the upturned wingtips are a means of reducing the amount of turbulence the plane causes in it's slipstream.

:mrgreen:

lee_alkureishi said:
It's a Boeing 747, flying London --> Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic :)

I believe the upturned wingtips are a means of reducing the amount of turbulence the plane causes in it's slipstream.

:mrgreen:
Correct. They also produce a little bit of extra lift by reducing the amount of "spillage" from the top of the wing to the bottom of the wing around the wingtip.

Nice photos. In the first one are we looking at clouds or ice? The blue color of the sky is incredible.

The white expanse is ice, I believe... It does look a bit like clouds, tho - kinda hard to tell without any man-made objects for reference....

Yeah, the blue of the sky is amazing - later on (or earlier, I cant remember) the sunset (or sunrise) produced some of the most amazing colours. But, to capture it meant turning the camera at an angle to the window. In turn, that highlighted the ice droplets all over the window glass, meaning that I couldn't capture any of the gorgeous colours! nightmare....

Next time....

Leeko :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back