Shots from a Tough Family Shoot Today...C&C

MikeBookPro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stillstories.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a family photo session today, and it was definitely the most challenging shoot I've had. We shot VERY late in the afternoon, so the kids were cranky, and we couldn't get them to sit still. We shot for about 1/2 of the expected time, and we're going to give it another shot early tomorrow afternoon. Definitely some lessons learned today, though, which is encouraging. C&C appreciated.

As usual, I'll include my own critique with each shot. Please add yours.

I like this shot, but the DOF was apparently a little too shallow, as the kid in front is OOF.
3924377433_479d0acabe_o.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this shot, but it's a bit soft. Also could have used a reflector to light the left (their right) side of their faces.
3924377639_fc27a3b2ea_o.jpg

I was going for this look, but the DOF is just a hair shallower than what I would've liked.
3924378957_97dee23302_o.jpg

Love this shot, but it's pretty noisy. Increased ISO so I could use a faster shutter speed.
3925165484_c5e3f2b8df_o.jpg

A bit soft, and kind of snapshotty, but I'm relatively happy with it.
3925165210_f417e40fd5_o.jpg

I like them a lot. especially the one of the kid with his dad blurred in the background. Also number one is great - the one kids expression was captured perfect.

You have the same problem as i do, you cut off parts of them in every single pic. did you get any where they are all exposed?!

#1- legs #2- half of each of them #3- ear. #4- arm - #5- legs

did you get any where they are all exposed?!

Yeah, there are a handful where there is nothing cut off. I'll have to post some of them. My only lens is my 50mm f/1.4, so I sometime I have trouble getting far enough away. I need to start working on shooting wider, and cropping my shot after the fact.

These are good, but kinda "eh". I like #3 the best. I don't know if you've done any post processing on these, but #2 and #3 have a few areas that would benefit from retouching in post. Mom's elbow in #2 and kid's hand in #3. I don't know if dad's lenses are polarized or they are just showing up as dark, but his eyes seem very dark. Good job, good luck with the reshoot!

These are good, but kinda "eh". I like #3 the best. I don't know if you've done any post processing on these, but #2 and #3 have a few areas that would benefit from retouching in post. Mom's elbow in #2 and kid's hand in #3. I don't know if dad's lenses are polarized or they are just showing up as dark, but his eyes seem very dark. Good job, good luck with the reshoot!

Yeah, his glasses are slightly tinted. I definitely agree with the couple of quick Photoshop spots. I'll definitely fix those spots before they go off to the printer.

Most reactions

Back