What's new

Shots from today, for C & C

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
648
Reaction score
5
Location
Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I finally got my camera back with the sensor all cleaned up. Seems to be fine now. I haven't had much time to use it since getting it back, but did manage to get out today. Here are a few shots. I set up my own in-camera picture styles and finally got to try them out today. I really like them, but I think I'll stick to colour shots and then dial them up as I see fit in post processing. Your c & c is, as always, welcomed and encouraged.

1.
TTC-Yard-012-EDIT2.jpg


2.
TTC-Yard-066-EDIT.jpg


3.
TTC-Yard-216-EDIT.jpg


4.
TTC-Yard-150-EDIT.jpg
 
These are good. Keep on.
 
Maybe try lifting the gamma/whitepoint input on a few of them (1/2/3). But keep an eye on increasing the contrast if you do - comes on quicker/steeper with higher gamma. The clouds in #2 look slightly over in terms of contrast.
 
love all of these
 
Loving the first one.... Trying to follow the wires makes me dizzy, and so playfully curious all at the same time! LOL
 
Hi Lazy,

great pics, well done.

For pic #1, you could try some perspective correction (widening the top and then cropping rectangular), clouds might be a bit overdone for me (in context with the rest of the pic)
Pic #2 - also try perspective / lens bending (or what the term is) correction - just fiddling around with it myself - improves pics greatly.

regards
 
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'm going to play with the gamma, as suggested by Dallmeyer, and try a bit of lens correction on #2 to straight out the water tower.
 
I've adjusted them all and I like the new versions better. Thanks everyone.

Here's the water tower shot, after adjusting the gamma and performing lens correction.

TTC-Yard-066-EDIT-1.jpg
 
The only one I dont like is the train. The bottom left hand corner is busy and distracting and at first I thought you had used selective coloring but see thats it wasnt. The others have good lines and interesting subjects. Keep em coming. The bridge traffic could go either way. The lamp post is bugging me lol. As is the cements pads with grass.
 
Last edited:
You're on the right track for composition in them all.

The fore and middle grounds in them just feel very underexposed to me. My eye keeps getting drawn to the sky in all of them.
Here I've made some changes to the light levels to try and keep the eye in the scene and out of the sky. Notice too the increased contrast of the overhead wires.

TTC-Yard-012-EDIT2.jpg
 
KmH: Wow! Really nice treatment, thanks. I'm just not good at Photoshop. I'm using ADCSee, which is great, but lacks many of the features of PP. I love the vignette border you added. I've tried to use the select tools in PP but have yet to find one that doesn't meander all over the place, usually where I don't want it to go.

Thanks for taking the time to improve the shot.
--
Dee: Thanks also for your helpful ideas and thoughts. It's always good to have the "bad" stuff pointed out too. Thanks.
 
you have some really nice shots there. nice job!
 
I'm glad you liked it Doug. Like any job, having the right tools is definately a plus. All lot of what I did can be done with the free, open source image editing software, GIMP.

I've adjusted them all and I like the new versions better. Thanks everyone.

Here's the water tower shot, after adjusting the gamma and performing lens correction.

TTC-Yard-066-EDIT-1.jpg

Here I rotated the canvas to orient the water tower on the vertical and did some dodge and burn to steer the viewers eye and give it a stormy, late twilight kind of feel. There is a danger of losing the viewer out the left side of the image though. As you can see, burning the clouds brought out more detail.

BTTC-Yard-066-EDIT-1.jpg
 
Numbers 1 and 2 are really awesome, have a great depth but the other two are too flat...they seem a bit haphazard.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom