Shots from where you began to where you are now

TheBromad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wanted to see if anyone is brave enough to post a photo from when you started photography and a photo of how you've progressed lol we all start somewhere! I don't have any shots that I've taken from the beginning with my camera to now, on my phone (which is where I post from) so I'll just post my iPhone shots.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

THE photo I took in 1976 that sparked my interest:

FirstPhotoSpark.jpg

One I took two days ago:

Out%20of%20Many%20One_2440%20post.jpg

THE photo I took in 1976 that sparked my interest:

FirstPhotoSpark.jpg

One I took two days ago:

Out%20of%20Many%20One_2440%20post.jpg
Was the first one accidental? Or did you mean to get the shot? It looks awesome!

I meant to take it. Heck, instant film was expensive, even back then!

I feel like such a Young'un in comparison.
I've only really been shooting for 10 years.

02620023.jpg

First started (circa July 2005)

DSC_6855-Edit-Edit.jpg

Latest image (Oct 2015)

Hmm, I think I still might have the very first roll of film that I took with my first SLR camera (Canon T-70) ... it was a depth of field test with some objects I found in my room ... I think 1984. Sadly my photos from the 70's are long gone.

Thinking back on it now, I was the most creative when I started than I am now ... I become more critical, or narrow minded as I've progressed.

1976 salmon Columbia River.jpg

I took this photo of my dad, my brother, and my grandfather in 1976, with my back jammed as far forward toward the bow end of the wooden Pacific City style double-ender Chinook Princess as I could get. We were salmon fishing on the Columbia River, August, 1976. I shot just one roll of 12 exposures on Verichrome Pan with a 1958 cheapie camera, a Super Ricohflex twin-lens. I kept the undeveloiped 120 roll film deep frozen until the mid-1980's; I kept the negatives stored from 1985 to 2013 in my dresser drawer, until this scan was made in 2013, at age 50. My grandad is showing my brother how to navigate the mighty Columbia's shipping channel using the on-shore markers. My brother STILL owns that Australian bush hat which he got that very year!

_D3X3831_2015.jpg

In the current era, I have tens of thousands of digital images...here's one I shot recently, also a black and white...high school senior, in his living room, with his now tattered Live Strong bracelet still proudly being worn on his wrist a full six years after it was given to him, posing with his beloved saxophone.

View attachment 110202

I took this photo of my dad, my brother, and my grandfather in 1976, with my back jammed as far forward toward the bow end of the wooden Pacific City style double-ender Chinook Princess as I could get. We were salmon fishing on the Columbia River, August, 1976. I shot just one roll of 12 exposures on Verichrome Pan with a 1958 cheapie camera, a Super Ricohflex twin-lens. I kept the undeveloiped 120 roll film deep frozen until the mid-1980's; I kept the negatives stored from 1985 to 2013 in my dresser drawer, until this scan was made in 2013, at age 50. My grandad is showing my brother how to navigate the mighty Columbia's shipping channel using the on-shore markers. My brother STILL owns that Australian bush hat which he got that very year!

View attachment 110203

In the current era, I have tens of thousands of digital images...here's one I shot recently, also a black and white...high school senior, in his living room, with his now tattered Live Strong bracelet still proudly being worn on his wrist a full six years after it was given to him, posing with his beloved saxophone.
Awesome stuff Darrel, I'm guessing you were or are a writer also? The story below the first shot was fun to read!

Well my mis-fires are just as bad today as they've always been, so no improvement there.;)

I got my first proper camera when I was 18, a second hand F2. I shot, developed B&W and fancied myself as a landscape photographer. Probably because I didn't think I was much good at portraits. However when I looked back while scanning my 35mm stuff a year or two ago I noticed that my landscapes were pretty mediocre with only one or two stand-outs. A lot more stood out amongst shots I took of the people I knew or met. Here's a very early one:

img045_sm.jpg

I started getting a little better at landscape by the mid 90's, but found it quite a hard subject (still do). Here's one from the mid 90's and has a lot more landscape in it. I remember taking it, and it pretty well summed up how I felt about our relationship at the time:

img274_sm.jpg

I moved to digital in 2011, and what a change. The biggest and most remarkable change is the acceleration in the learning curve. The time from pressing the button to seeing the result is instant, you didn't have to wait until you'd finished the film and then go through another two processes to see the results. You can see what is wrong whilst your still there immersed in the subject. And image manipulation in colour!

I am getting better at landscape, and have posted a few here. This is one of my favourites:

_DSC7045_sRGB_sm.jpg

But have I lost the people skill I never thought I had? I don't think so, I just find people are more "image concious" because of the digital connection and ability to publish on social media. Here's one I did not so long ago, funnily enough with a lens that pre-dates all my original second hand kit:

_DSC6740_sRGB_sm.jpg

Well my mis-fires are just as bad today as they've always been, so no improvement there.;)

I got my first proper camera when I was 18, a second hand F2. I shot, developed B&W and fancied myself as a landscape photographer. Probably because I didn't think I was much good at portraits. However when I looked back while scanning my 35mm stuff a year or two ago I noticed that my landscapes were pretty mediocre with only one or two stand-outs. A lot more stood out amongst shots I took of the people I knew or met. Here's a very early one:

View attachment 110254

I started getting a little better at landscape by the mid 90's, but found it quite a hard subject (still do). Here's one from the mid 90's and has a lot more landscape in it. I remember taking it, and it pretty well summed up how I felt about our relationship at the time:

View attachment 110255

I moved to digital in 2011, and what a change. The biggest and most remarkable change is the acceleration in the learning curve. The time from pressing the button to seeing the result is instant, you didn't have to wait until you'd finished the film and then go through another two processes to see the results. You can see what is wrong whilst your still there immersed in the subject. And image manipulation in colour!

I am getting better at landscape, and have posted a few here. This is one of my favourites:

View attachment 110256

But have I lost the people skill I never thought I had? I don't think so, I just find people are more "image concious" because of the digital connection and ability to publish on social media. Here's one I did not so long ago, funnily enough with a lens that pre-dates all my original second hand kit:

View attachment 110257
That digital landscape shot is awesome! Very nice work!

Most reactions

Back