Shots with the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S

Yay, another chance to pimp my stuff :mrgreen:

Wide open at f/1.8:

If you're wanting to get this lens... do it. It's sharp everywhere, even wide open. Some say that it has some CA wide open, but the only faults I've been able to find are simple, 100% correctable barrel distortion and a bit of ghosting when shooting into bright light sources.

100% correctable barrel distortion

I've held off getting this lens because it has quite a bit of distortion, but if what you say is true I may have to look more seriously at this lens. I need a 35mm as my 50mm is a bit tight for indoor stuff unless there's plenty of room. I was considering the 35mm f/2 AF-D but it's quite a bit more expensive.

16344_553276896893_39200789_3273937.jpg

100% correctable barrel distortion

I've held off getting this lens because it has quite a bit of distortion, but if what you say is true I may have to look more seriously at this lens. I need a 35mm as my 50mm is a bit tight for indoor stuff unless there's plenty of room. I was considering the 35mm f/2 AF-D but it's quite a bit more expensive.

IT does have a bit, but its still better then pretty much all zooms. Also when is a tad bit of distortion really gonna ruin a photo? If you are shootings something you need PERFECT you can always correct it in photoshop no big deal

The only issue I have with the lense, although it may be a camera issue, is manually focusing. I find it hard to get a spot on focus through the viewfinder, but I'm used to an older SLR. So I'm sure I will get better.

Couple shots from around a week of use, unedited save for being shrunk:
lily.jpg

burn_houses.jpg

For $200 it's not bad. I have this and a 50mm 1.8 and prefer the 35mm for indoors, informal snaps on my DX. That being said, I'm likely going to get a wide angle zoom next. If it's a 12-24, I may get rid of the 35. The purple fringinging is pretty bad under the right/wrong circumstances and on a DX I keep finding it either not wide enough or not close enough. I think on a DX the 35mm prime is a bit limited.

For the price it's worth having in the bag, and I have one.

The lens is nicely sharp in the center but sharpness drops off rapidly as you move towards the edges, particularly wide open. The sharpness falloff towards the edges is not as dramatic at apertures smaller than f/10, but by then the lens sharpness will tend to be less than the resolving power of the image sensor.

The center sharpness meets or exceeds the resolving power of today's image sensors from about f/2.2 to f/10, but sharpness still falls below the sensor resolving power as you look further away from the center of an image.

This can be problematic if you're wanting to use compositional techniques that avoid having your main subject at the center of the frame.

So like most lenses, if you want tack sharp focus, keep the lens off maximum and minimum aperture and use careful composition.

I've been thinking of ordering one of these in a few months right before my baby comes. Thanks for posting some images taken with this lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back